Sullivan In History
Chapters XX-XXXII




Land here was usually purchased from the state in large tracts. There was the Bell tract, lying both sides of the N. Y. C. Railroad, extending from Chittenango Creek to Canaseraga Creek. Bell was an Englishman. Citizens of Sullivan sent Dr. Beebe to purchase the tract, which he did, and it was sold to different farmers. Dr. Jonas Fay purchased the "40-rod tract" north of that and Richard Varick another tract.

One of the first industries at Bridgeport was the making of barrels. Mr. Rector was one of the first in this business. Others engaged in the manufacture of barrels were Richard Brown, Smith Carter, Shelden Hubbard, Menzo Kneeskern, William Roberts and others. The barrels were taken down Chittenango Creek, through Oneida Lake, down Oneida River to Three Rivers, then to Salina and exchanged for salt.

Another never-to-be-forgotten industry at Bridgeport was the fishing. The earliest fishing was for salmon and the "Riffs" was a favorite place for catching there. They frequently weighed as much as twenty-five pounds. There was a place about half-way between Bridgeport and the lake known as "Bloody Point" from the large number of salmon speared there. Before the erection of dams in the creek, the salmon ran as far up as Chittenango Falls.

As the salmon disappeared, suckers and other fish took their place. The suckers run early in the spring and when a man put his money in nets and netting he was investing in the sucker bank.

At one time there were two large tanneries there, also carding mills. The gristmill, although altered and completely rebuilt, has stayed the longest with the village. There were also two shoe manufactories, one operated by Zacariah Sukler and the other by Benjamin D. Aelmoody. There was a cheese factory south of the village and another about two miles east. The Terpannys and Dunhams were early merchants there. David Dunham was an early physician, which he combined with farming. His son David followed the same profession.

The first school in Bridgeport was located just south of where W. Moore's blacksmith shop used to stand. During the spring freshets the water sometimes came up so high the larger boys had to carry the girls into the school house.


The first step recorded for an organization of the above church was a meeting held January 12, 1828. It was decided to ask the Classis of Cayuga to accept Chittenango as part of their organization. The minutes were signed by Andrew Yates, David R. Austin, James A. Van Voast, Jacob Slingerland, jr., and Stephen Alexander. Messrs. Austin and Alexander were chosen elders. Messrs. Van Voast and Slingerland were chosen deacons.

The next meeting was a citizens' meeting on February 28, 1828, for the purpose of planning a church building. William H. Fuller was chosen chairman and Andrew S. Yates, secretary. A building committee was selected, consisting of Andrew Yates, Henry B. Cobb, Henry Rightmeyer, Hezekiah Sage, Henry Ehle, Daniel B. Cady, John I. Walrath, Peter Colyer, Hugh White, Hezekiah Beecher, Robert Riddle and William Fuller. They were instructed to organize and see that a suitable church was built without delay. Andrew Yates was made chairman, Daniel B. Cady, secretary. John I. Walrath was named agent, to enter into contracts for building the church and collect money to pay for same. For his services he was to receive $1.75 per day and expenses.

Henry Cobb and Hugh White surveyed and laid out the grounds, which were given by John B. Yates.

Samuel Jaques was engaged to dig the cellar at 9c a square yard and place the soil where directed. Mr. Sage furnished the lime at 12c per bushel. A. & D. Walrath contracted for the carpentry work. Daniel Walrath furnished the hewn timber at $7 a 100 feet. Henry Cobb furnished the nails at "three shillings a hundred-weight above cost at Albany." Messrs. Sage and Bethrong contracted to furnish and lay all stone at 12 shillings a perch.

The building proceeded rapidly, for on December 25, 1828, Henry Cobb was designated to auction off the "slips," or pews. Two seats were reserved for "blacks." Mr. Cobb auctioned off the stalls in the shed on December 31.

The first formal ceremony was the laying the comer stone on April 24, 1828. The Hon. Gerrit Smith delivered the address. The church was dedicated January 15, 1829. Hon. John B. Yates delivered the address. When the church was erected there was no street on the south side of the church.

The first pastor, Rev. Hutchins Taylor, received $200 annually and use of a house. In 1857 Mr. Adams was sexton and received $40 a year; also 50 cents for tolling the bell at funerals and $1 for opening the church. For tolling and opening the church he was to collect from the parties interested.

The church owns a lot in Oakwood Cemetery on which there is one burial, that of Rev. James Abell. The church paid for the burial as follows: Judd's Livery, $10; N. Greminger, undertaker, $7; H. Dutcher, digging grave, $4; total, $21.

On April 28, 1888, at a meeting of the church and congregation a resolution was presented asking the church be made a member of the Syracuse Presbytery. The resolutions were read again and passed at another church meeting on May 17, 1888. Thus passed into history one of the oldest, and, in the early days of the community, the most influential church organizations in Central New York.

Following is a list of early pastors of the church:

Hutchins Taylor, 1828-30; Andrew S. Yates, 1830-35; William H. Campbell, assisting, 1831-32; E. Slingerland, assisting, 1832-34; John C. Hoes, 1835-37; James Abell, 1838-54; S. P. M. Hastings, 1840-59; J. R. Talmage, 1860-69; J. H. Enders, 1869-80; A. C. Chester, supply; Mr. Fisher.

C. D. Thatcher was the last of the Dutch Reformed pastors; Charles H. Walker the first Presbyterian.

This article was compiled from the Historical Sketch by Mrs. Edith Walrath McHenry, read at the rededication of the First Presbyterian Church September 9, 1925.

By the Pastor, Harold W. Estes

A resolution asking that this church, then the Dutch Reformed, be made a member of the Syracuse Presbytery, was presented at a meeting of church officials and members April 28, 1888. It was the first church meeting at which the ladies voted. The resolution was carried by a large majority. It was again adopted by a vote of 21 to 3 at a second meeting, May 17, 1888.

Rev. Charles H. Walker was the first pastor after the church changed to Presbyterian. The first officials of the church were: Trustees for three years, Clement Cook, Peter Walrath and Walter Stewart; trustees for two years, Willis P. Maine, John R. Eaton and Francis H. Gates; trustees for one year, Thomas H. Mitchell, Philip H. Wager and Luke McHenry; deacons were: Thomas H. Mitchell, 3 years; Thomas C. Bassett, 2 years; Alfred E. Root, 1 year; elders for three years, Jacob Colyer and Peter Grosbeck; elders for two years, Clement Cook and Peter Walrath; elders for one year, Willis P. Maine and John R. Eaton.

During the winter of 1888, fifty-three new members were added to the church. Soon after occurred the reorganization and legal transfer to the care and fellowship of Presbytery.

Following Mr. Walker as pastor were: H. Grant Person, William L. Sawtelle, John M. Richardson, James Elmer Russell, Harris B. Stewart, Albert J. Thomas, Seth M. Genung; J. M. Van Tilburg, F. E. Piper, and the present pastor, Harold W. Estes.

On October 5, 1918, the steeple of the church was struck by lightning. For a time it looked as though the fire would be confined to the roof. Unfortunately, the only fire-fighting equipment possessed by the village was an old hand pump which could not force water high enough to reach the flames. So the fire gathered headway and the building was destroyed except the four stone walls standing high and bare.

Hardly anything was saved, there being no opening except in front, where the fire started.

The fire was on Saturday and there were no services Sunday. The next Sunday, however, services were held in Union Hall. Afterward, in the old Polytechnic Chapel, until the church was reroofed and the basement completed.

Work was immediately started to raise funds to restore the church, following the plan of the original interior closely.

The names of the first committee are lost. The following were selected for the second and final rebuilding project: Building committee, Clayton Ehle, Max Frey, Paul A. Mead; J. Lehman Robinson and Carroll Boardman; finance committee, Mrs. Max Frey, president; Mrs. D. Wells Walrath, secretary; Paul A. Mead, treasurer; Mrs. Carroll Boardman, Clayton Ehle and Lee W. McHenry.

The first service in the church after the fire was in the basement the first Sunday in September, 1920, and the first in the auditorium in September, 1925.

The new pulpit furniture was purchased by a fund raised by former pastors of the church.

The only important change in rebuilding was placing the choir loft and organ in the east end of the church instead of the west. The church, rebuilt, cost over $50,000. At the present time, April, 1939, it has a membership of 142.


The present Baptist Church here was formed largely through the efforts of Rev. W. H. Steigar, with members of the old First Baptist Church as a nucleus. The reorganization service took place February 5, 1868.

The services included: Reading of Scriptures, Rev. Wright of Manlius; Opening Prayer, Rev. C. Woods of Fayetteville; Reorganization Sermon, Rev. D. G. Corey of Utica; Prayer of Recognition, Rev. N. C. Phillips of North Manlius; Address to the Church, Rev. John Smitzer; Hand of Fellowship, Rev. B. Morley of New Woodstock.

The Deacons chosen were W. C. Fillmore and Thadeus Heath. By January, 1869, there was membership of 40.

In 1870, Rev. M. J. Goff became pastor and on November 29, 1870, the corner stone for the present church edifice was laid. The following clergymen took part in the ceremony: Rev. J. C. Ward of Cazenovia, Rev. J. C. Enders of the Dutch Reformed Church of Chittenango, Rev. Lecompte of Syracuse, Rev. Daniel McFarland of Oneida, Dr. Patten of Utica, Rev. M. Longstreet of Chittenango Methodist Church, Rev. M. J. Goff. The church was dedicated July 13, 1871. The first funeral in the church was that of James Knowles on July 15, 1871.

In October, 1872, Rev. F. M. Beebe became pastor and brought the membership up to 84. The following is a list of pastors, as completely as can be obtained from the records: B. F. Leipsner, Rev. Ira Bennett, Rev. A. F. Ferguson, Rev. J. G. Travis, Rev. William T. Zell, Rev. Charles Hastings Dodd, Rev. R. H. Colby, Rev. J. O. Perkins, F. D. Proctor, Rev. S. S. Bidwell, Revs. McGann, Whitaker, Wright, Newer, Tisdale, Peck, Shaw, Hurlburt, Dunbar and Knepka.


Rev. Harold E. Steer, Pastor The First Methodist Church Society at Chittenango was formally organized September 9, 1833. Rev. Benjamin G. Paddock was the itinerant minister at the time. He was made chairman of the meeting. The following resolutions were adopted.

"This may certify that at a special meeting of the official members and friends of the Methodist Episcopal Church, together with preacher in charge, viz.: Benjamin Paddock, who presided as chairman, we proceeded to organize ourselves into a society of church members agreeable to law and the rules of the above named church and discipline, the meeting being duly published at least three weeks or at three different times previous to such meeting in the public congregation and being thus convened did proceed to vote in by ballot five trustees to the first society of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Chittenango.

"John I. Walrath acted as first trustee; Daniel Walrath, third trustee; J. R. Knollen, third trustee; William Metcalf, second trustee, and A. Comstock, second trustee.

"B. G. Paddock, chairman. Dated September 9, 1833, State of New York, Madison County.

"Benjamin G. Paddock and Anson Comstock to me known, came before me this 11th day of Oct., 1833, and acknowledged they had executed the above instrument.

"Justin Dwindell, Supreme Court Com'r. Recorded, October 15, 1833, at 11 o'clock A. M. E. Barnard, Dept. Clk."

The church was built in 1833-4, although the deed for the land on which the church and parsonage stands was not received until 1835. The parsonage was not built until the year 1850. This was followed by the great loss sustained when, on March 9, 1862, the church, parsonage, barn and sheds, together with the minister's horse, burned. Shortly thereafter rebuilding operations began. The new church was dedicated June 3, 1863. From time to time over the years, improvements have been made to the church and parsonage. The latest work on the property took place last summer, 1938, when around $1,000.00 in improvements were made. This work included the removal of the old church sheds, and preparing the ground for a parking area for automobiles. A two-car garage, with a concrete floor and drain, was erected. The top of the old steeple was torn down, thus removing an accident hazard. It was also found cheaper to tear it down than to keep it in repair. Soon, and possibly this year, if the necessary funds can be found, the church is to be repainted.

Many revival services have been held in this church over the years. When Rev. J. B. Foote was minister between 1885-9, a certain Mr. Johnson held such services. Wallace Brown, now Bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church, was converted at one of these meetings. Last year, Bishop Brown made a return visit to his old church. There was a record congregation out to hear him and it was a service that will stand out in the history of the church.

Two of the most notable events in the history of the church were the Centennial and District Conference during September, 1933. Arrangements for the Centennial were in charge of the pastor, Rev. K. M. Walker, assisted by a committee composed of Mrs. Floyd Bettinger, Mrs. Frank Rice and Russell Austin. Miss Uretta Bettinger read a history of the church prepared by herself. This was very interesting and instructive. The music was in charge of Mrs. Laura Yates. At the conclusion of the morning service, a picnic luncheon was served. Bishop F. T. Keeney gave the special evening message.

Rev. J. N. Bragan came to be minister for the Conference year 1926-27. The Clockville Methodist Church became part of the charge for that year. This arrangement lasted, however, but one year. Then Rev. Ralph W. Wyrick succeeded him and the Perryville Methodist Church was made a part of the minister's duties. This arrangement has continued until the present time. The parsonage has remained here, while the Perryville parsonage has been rented, the money being applied towards the current expenses of that church.

Under the pastorate of Rev. J. B. Foote an Epworth League was started for the young people. This organization has continued active all the years since and has helped to build Christian character and proved a strong organization in the church life. Miss Marcia Ball is the present Epworth League president. Mrs. Fannie (Smith) Bettinger is the president of the Home Missionary Society; Paul F. W. Hodge, superintendent of the church school, and Mrs. Edward C. Walrath has served for many years as the president of the Ladies' Aid Society. Mrs. Floyd Bettinger is the communion steward; E. P. Barmore, district steward; Mrs. E. P. Barmore, church treasurer, and Fred E. Colyer, World Service treasurer. Claude Ramour is the recording steward. The official board is composed of these officers and the following: Carl E. Fisher, Smith Bettinger, John W. Gates, Arthur M. Brown, Mrs. John W. Gates, John E. Paddock and Mrs. Glenn Bender. The trustees are Carl E. Fisher, Smith Bettinger, John W. Gates, Arthur M. Brown, E. P. Barmore and Fred E. Colyer. Mrs. Paul F. W. Hodge is the organist and choir director. Glenn Bender is the janitor.

A few errors may appear in the following list of ministers of the church and the years they served here, but an honest effort has been made to gather the correct data as taken from different sources. Benjamin G. Paddock, 1833-34; James Atwell, 1835; no records available between 1835-42; E. P. Williams, 1842-3; David W. Thurston, 1844-45; O. Hesler, 1846-47; Z. D. Paddock, 1848-49; George Colgrove, 1849-50; James Atwell, 1851-52; R. Cooker, 1853-54; W. Bridge, 1855-56; A. J. Grover, 1857-58; E. G. Bush, 1859-60; J. Pilkinton, 1861-62; E. Owen, 1863; S. P. Grey, 1864-65; William Reddy, 1865-66; G. S. White, 1866-67; J. W. Mitchell, 1867-68; A. S. Graves, 1868-69; J. B. Longstreet, 1869-1872; F. J. Whitney, 1873-74; Silas Ball, 1874-75; J. Easter, 1875-78; James Irwin, 1879-81; W. Jones, 1882-84; J. B. Foote, 1885-89; McKenfree Shaw, 1890-92; Charles L'V. Haynes, 1892-93; George Britton, 1893-96; A. J. Saxe, 1896-98; David Tuttle, 1898-99: C. M. Adams, 1899-1900; M. S. Wells, 1900-05; F. B. Duvall, 1905-07; O. D. Fisher, 1907-10: George A. Stott, 1910-12; Mark Schuyler, 1912-14; E. H. VanScoy, 1914-15; L. H. Pierce, 1915-17; George E. Hutchings, 1917-20; Leonard F. Basford, 1920-22; John W. Redder, 192223; Eugene S. Bardwell, 1923-25; Leon Northrup, 1925-26; J. N. Bragan, 1926-27; Ralph W. Wyrick, 1927-30; K. M. Walker, 1930-1936; Martius D. Foster, 1936-38.

The present minister is Rev. Harold E. Steer, who was appointed to the charge at the Central New York annual Conference convening in Canastota in October, 1938, after having served the past four years in the Skaneateles Methodist Church.

By Rev. George L. Gurney

"Earliest services 1816."

"Intermittent services held, served by priests from Perryville and later from Cazenovia. Services held in various places, such as the Bethel and in the Baptist Meeting House."

In June, 1855, formal application was made to the Rt. Rev. William H. DeLancey, bishop of the Diocese of Western New York, which included what is now the Dioceses of Albany, Central New York, Rochester and Western New York, for permission to organize a parish for Chittenango. The Bishop's consent was obtained June 13, 1855. With due notice given, the proper persons met on the 18th of June, 1855, for organization. The Rev. Dr. A. P. Smith, rector of St. Peter's, Cazenovia, presided. The parish was duly organized and dedicated to St. Paul. Joseph Sanger and Sanford Cobb were elected wardens. Thomas A. Clark, William E. Lansing, A. J. French, Uriah Parry, P. S. Arndt, George S. Jones, Everett R. Lewis and Charles C. West were elected vestrymen.

Plans for building a church were discussed and a lot for that purpose was acquired in July, 1855. This lot, located on the northern side of the park in the northern portion of the village, was later sold and the proceeds added to the Building Fund. From 1855 to 1865, all activities were directed to increasing the Building Fund. In 1863, Samuel Housley gave the lots where the church now stands. In 1864, Joseph Sanger died, leaving the sum of $600 to the little parish, which sum was added to the Building Fund. Soon after Mr. Sanger's death, the business of raising money to build a church was put into the hands of Edward Fuller and John Bates. At first it was hoped to build a stone edifice, and plans were made for it. After a few months' effort it was evident that this plan would have to be abandoned. Lest the project should be lost entirely, Mr. Fuller suggested that a wooden structure be built after the plan of St. Peter's at Cazenovia, and such a course of action was agreed upon.

On December 4, 1865, the corner-stone of the church was laid. The old records show, partilly at least, who some of the donors were. The principal ones were: Samuel Housley, $500; James Broadhead, $500; Mrs. George W. Kellogg, $100; Edward Fuller, $100; John Bates, $100; Damon Wells, $100; George Grant, $100; Robert and Daniel Stewart, $100; Rev. A. P. Smith, $100; John C. Clark, $100; E. Pennock, $75; Daniel Gates, $50; Meredith Thomas, $50; Ben D. French, $50, and "many other good citizens in good proportion."

The building, furnishings and windows cost $5,000, of which amount all but $600 was raised, as the parish register says, "Amongst ourselves and friends." The building was completed in less than six months. The first services were held on Easter Day, April 1, 1866. On the 12th day of May, 1866, the church being entirely free of debt, the Rt. Rev. Arthur C. Coxe, bishop of the diocese, consecrated the building to the worship of Almighty God and dedicated it to the honor of St. Paul.

In the fall of that year, the Rev. Dr. A. P. Smith resigned, but continued to give spiritual oversight to St. Paul's for three years more. In 1870, the Rev. J. D. S. Pardee became Dr. Smith's assistant in Cazenovia and served Chittenango. In 1872 he was succeeded by the Rev. William A. Ely, whose ministry was really that of the first resident priest. He won high regard both in and out of the church, but ill health cut short his work here. In fact, he only lived two years longer, departing from this life in Syracuse in 1877. Now the small parish fell into evil days, suffering greatly from people moving out of the village. During these times services were continued regularly, but none of the clergy served very long terms of service. The bishop supplied clergy from the old St. Andrew's Seminary in Syracuse. Among the priests who served St. Paul's at this time were: The Rev. Robert Paul, 1875-1877; a priest named Bowen, 1877-1878; the Rev. W. S. Hayward, 1878-1880.

The church building was in great need of repair at this time, so Mrs. Edward Fuller and Miss May Fuller, at their own personal expense, saw to it that the necessary things were done. This was at a time when the parish was in desperate need, and their help should always be gratefully remembered.

Now, for the first time since the consecration of the church, services were suspended. From Advent, 1880, to Palm Sunday, 1881, there were no services in St. Paul's Church. Again the Bishop began sending Priests and Seminarians from St. Andrew's Seminary in Syracuse. In September, 1881, the Rev. Horace B. Goodyear came to serve the parish, which had revived somewhat during the preceding few months. He served until 1883, when he was succeeded by the Rev. W. C. Nesbit. Other clergy who served are: Rev. F. P. Winne, 1885-1888; Rev. W. H. C. Lylburn, 1888-1890; Rev. A. W. Ebersole, 1890-1897; Rev. G. H. Ottaway, 1897-1907;. Rev. James C. Munson, 1907-1921; Rev. W. E. Grimshaw, 1922-1925; Rev. Ernest Ladbrook, 1925-1932; Rev. George L. Gurney, 1932 up to the present writing.

Nothing startling or unusual happened in the parish until the building of the parish hall in 1928. At that time great enthusiasm and interest was aroused by the Rev. Ernest Ladbrook. Under his direction the hall was built, a new heating plant installed in the church, the interior of the church redecorated, and the exterior of the church painted and the yard regraded and seeded. He finished his work just in time for the financial depression was soon to come, affecting the church as it did every activity in the world. With the fabric in good shape, it gave Father Ladbrook's successor an opportunity to replenish the furnishings and vestments of the parish, which were in a badly depleted state.

It is very unusual, but nevertheless true, that of all the priests who have served St. Paul's only the present incumbent is living. The last survivor of all the rest, Rev. Ernest R. Ladbrook, having died on October 17, 1936.


By Rev. Francis E. Horrigan

The history of Catholicity in the village of Chittenango and town of Sullivan coincides with the history of the development of the locality itself. From the very moment that white men began to explore this section of the Indians' Paradise, Catholicity began. It was the Jesuit missionaries from France who were the first white men to make their way through this part of New York State. Many of them suffered torture and even death at the hands of the savages for the religion which they preached. It is a source of gratification and pardonable pride for Catholics to know that the first white man to forge his way over the wooded Indian trail which is now the State Highway, was a Catholic priest.

With the passing of time, the Indians yielded their territory to the whites. Emigrants from the countries of Europe began to arrive to carve from the forest a future for themselves and their children. And with the emigrants came their religion and their priests. It is not surprising then to learn that missionary priests were regular visitors during the period of colonization and development of Central New York. Nor is it surprising to find in official records that as far back as 1838, the Archbishop of New York appointed a priest, Rev. William Beecham, to live at Rome, N. Y. It was his work to care for the spiritual wants of Catholics living in Oneida County and the territory embraced in Lewis, Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Madison, Onondaga, Chenango and Broome Counties. Over this vast expanse of country he traveled day after day, encouraging and exhorting, baptizing the children of early settlers, blessing marriages, anointing the dying, hearing confessions and administering the Bread of Life, till from Rome to Rochester, from Binghamton to the Adirondacks, the name of Father Beecham became a household word.

It was during this period that the villages of this locality began and need was felt for the establishment of local organizations to take up the work oŁ preaching and teaching religion. The pioneer missionary had served his purpose; he had done his work well under terrific handicaps; he had sown deeply the seeds of Faith in the hearts of his people and he lived to see the day when those seeds grew to fruition. Within a short space of time, in every city, town and village, there sprung up organizations noted for devotion, loyalty and solidarity.

Records testify that in 1851 and 1852, the Catholics of Chittenango gathered together for religious worship under the leadership of Rev. Michael Heas, the zealous pastor of St. Mary's Church, Syracuse, who is accredited with the organization of practically every village parish in this vicinity. He said mass here in the home of James Stewart during those two years. There are also records of services being held at this time by Rev. James O'Hara, who was then pastor of St. Patrick's Church, Oneida. In 1853, Rev. James Cahill was appointed resident pastor at Cazenovia with Chittenango as the outmission. Father Cahill continued the custom of saying mass at the Stewart home until his departure in 1856. He was succeeded by Rev. Michael Rooney. Rather Rooney realized that the congregation at Chittenango was growing; that it could no longer be accommodated in the parlor of a private residence. He took his little flock to "Union Hall," where services were conducted regularly during the years 1856, 1857 and 1858. In 1859 a new pastor arrived to care for Cazenovia and its mission at Chittenango in the person of Rev. Bonaventure Carney. Shortly after his arrival, Father Carney was given the opportunity of providing his congregation with its first permanent home. He purchased the frame building known as the "Second Presbyterian Church of Chittenango," which at the time of purchase was occupied by the Baptists. The building was located at the southern end of the village, near what is now the intersection of the Syracuse and Cazenovia highways. Inasmuch as most of the parishioners were of Irish descent, the church was dedicated to St. Patrick and made ready for Catholic worship. Father Carney remained as pastor until 1862, when he was succeeded by Rev. Patrick Brady who remained until 1875. During Father Brady's pastorate, the church was completely repaired and renovated. It continued to be the center of Catholic religious worship during the pastorates of Rev. Charles A. Reilly, 1875-1882, and Rev. John L. Reilly, 1882-1883.

On January 17, 1883, Right Reverend Francis McNeirny, Bishop of Albany, appointed Rev. James S. Collins as first resident pastor of St. Patrick's Church, Chittenango. Shortly after his arrival, Father Collins purchased a house across the street from the church. There he lived and worked in the interest of his people until early in the year 1886, when he was forced to ask his bishop for assistance because of ill health. Rev. Richard H. Gahan was sent here in response to his request. The two priests lived at the rectory, contented and happy--Father Collins trying to recuperate, and Father Gahan carrying on for him. Both priests were destined for a severe shock from which they were never to rally. On September 26, 1886, the church was completely destroyed by fire. Father Gahan entered the burning building to rescue the Blessed Sacrament and to save the Altar Stone and a few vestments. The shock of the fire was too great for the two priests. Father Gahan carried on for a while, holding mass in "Union Hall," doing his best to build up the morale of a disheartened people. He was forced to give up in 1887 and died in 1888. Father Collins never returned to active duty and died in 1889.

The history of the Catholic Church has always been one of joys and triumphs, of crosses and thorns. From the ashes of sorrow and suffering she has always kindled a new fire of hope and determination. The little congregation at Chittenango was to be no exception. The Bishop of Syracuse, Right Rev. Patrick A. Ludden, sent the Rev. Martin C. Stanton to be their pastor. This was in the summer of 1887. He began at once to make plans for the building of a new church. He called his people together to discuss the matter and it was the vote of the congregation not to rebuild on the site of the old church. Consequently the rectory at the southern end of the village was sold and property was purchased at the northern end of the village. On November 17, 1887, four building lots, located on Oneida Street, were deeded to the church corporation. A small two-story house stood on one of the lots and this was used as a home for Father Stanton. Work was begun immediately on the erection of the new church. Much of the labor was donated by the men of the parish who laid the foundation and erected the building. There are no records available regarding the cost of the church or the date of its completion. There is no written record of the dedication of the church, although the tradition among the older members of the congregation is that it was dedicated early in the year 1888 by the Very Rev. James S. M. Lynch, Vicar General, who officiated in the absence of Bishop Ludden. There is a rather touching incident recorded in regard to the erection of this new church which will stand forever to the memory of a noble band of Christians. After the fire, the church was penniless. But still the people must have a church. By subscription they raised a sufficient amount to purchase the new site, but alas, they had nothing with which to build a new church. So they went into debt for the material, furnished most of the labor themselves, and when their building was completed, they applied for a bank mortgage in order to meet their outstanding obligations. In the petition to the County Court for the mortgage, dated July 23, 1888, the following men pledged all their worldly goods and bound themselves individually and collectively to assume liability for the mortgage: John Quinn, John C. Devine, James McGinnis, Patrick Tierney, William Devine, William McNulty, Phillip Lynch, Patrick Flaherty, Timothy Ryan, John D. Ryan, Dennis Sullivan, Michael Conley, Bartly Baker, John Brannon, James Clarke, Richard Lynch, Bridget Moran, John McGraw, Phillip Gibbons, William J. Watkins, Patrick Baker and John Hopkins. The Board of Trustees which signed this petition was as follows: Rt. Rev. Patrick A. Ludden, D.D., Very Rev. J. S. M. Lynch, V.G., Rev. Martin C. Stanton, pastor, Robert W. Devine and James Ryan. To the everlasting credit of these men, a Catholic Church stands today in Chittenango a monument to their unselfishness, their spirit of sacrifice, their willingness to give their all that Almighty God might have a home in their midst. The building which they erected is the frame structure which is still in use. It is 70 ft. x 44 ft., the front surmounted by a graceful tower, and has a seating capacity of 220 people.

When the first resident pastor was appointed to Chittenango in 1886, he was also given charge of the Catholic Church at Canastota. His successor also continued in that charge. Father Stanton, who built the church in 1888, continued as its pastor until 1891. He was succeeded by Rev. James B. Walsh, 1891-1893; Rev. William H. Slavin, 1893-1896; Rev. James Collins, 1896-1902; Very Rev. James A. Kelley, 1902-1903; Rev. Thomas S. Flynn, 1903-1917. During Father Flynn's pastorate it was noted that Canastota village was growing by leaps and bounds, and it was deemed advisable for the parish priest to have his headquarters at Canastota. Accordingly, Father Flynn transferred the rectory from Chittenango to Canastota in 1906, although he continued as pastor at Chittenango until his death in 1917. He was succeeded by Rev. Daniel M. Hennessey, 1917-1924, who was in turn succeeded by Rev. Clement D. Shaughnessy, 1924-1929. During Father Shaughnessy's term as pastor, many important improvements were made to the church property. Lightning had struck the lofty tower which surmounted the building. That was removed and the present smaller tower constructed. A steel goldleafed cross was placed upon it; the roof was reshingled; the exterior was painted. The interior was also redecorated; new lighting fixtures installed; new stations of the cross erected; a confessional built; wardrobes constructed; new linoleum placed throughout the aisles, and the organ was electrified. In 1927, under Father Shaughnessy's direction, the parish hall was built to provide the people with a suitable place for social activities and to furnish a meeting place for the parish societies.

On July 1, 1929, an important decision was reached in regard to the future of the Chittenango parish. The Bishop of Syracuse, Most Rev. Daniel J. Curley, had noted the progress being made here. He realized the growing difficulty for proper care coming from the pastor of Canastota. Consequently he divided the parishes, leaving Father Shaughnessy in charge at Canastota and appointing Rev. Francis F. Horrigan as resident pastor of Chittenango. Since Father Horrigan's arrival, the physical and spiritual structure of the parish have been consistently strengthened. His first efforts were directed to the spiritual welfare of his people. A complete and thorough census was made of the entire section entrusted to his care. A new and active interest in the work of

the church was the immediate result, and since then, priest and people have worked as one for the advancement of religion in this locality. A new rectory, as a home for the pastor, was built in 1930. It is a thoroughly modern, two-story, frame house, containing nine rooms, and is completely equipped to meet the needs of a growing parish. The church and Parish Hall have also been the concern of the pastor. Both buildings were completely rewired to meet the requirements of the State Underwriters. New exterior and vestibule doors have been placed on the church. All buildings have been painted. The interior of the church also shows many changes. The sanctuary has been enlarged, a new altar rail put in place, the main altar has been rebuilt, new side altars have been installed, a bronze tabernacle now stands on the main altar, a pulpit has been provided, new art floor has been laid in the sanctuary, new cluster lights adorn the altar, new Statues of the Sacred Heart and St. Patrick have been added, new chairs have been obtained for the sanctuary boys, new vestments and altar linens have been purchased, and all candelabra have been cleaned and replated.

The spiritual progress of the congregation has also kept pace with the physical. During the nearly ten years of Father Horrigan's pastorate, 93 infants have been baptized and received into membership in the church, 69 children have made their first confession and communion, 118 have been confirmed, 30 couples have been married, 26 converts have been received into the church and 36 people have died. At the present time there are 72 children in the various catechetical instruction groups and discussion clubs of the parish. There is a Holy Name Society for the men of the parish, an Altar and Rosary Society for the women and Sodalities for the children.

The parish owns and maintains its own cemetery. It is a two-acre plot of beautiful rolling ground situated on the side hill of the Salt Springs Road at the southwestern end of the village. The land was donated to the church for cemetery purposes by Mary E. Brinkerhoff on April 14, 1875. Since that time no effort has been spared to keep it a veritable "God's Acre--a dormitory for God's weary children where they may sleep in peace until the day of the final resurrection.

If the past is any criterion of the future, then the future of St. Patrick's Church of Chittenango holds bright promise. Those of us who are here today, realizing the sacrifices and the sufferings of those who have gone, cannot be unmindful of our sacred trust. Their heritage is our responsibility. Truly we are a part of that great worldwide organization, The Catholic Church, of which Christ, her founder, said; "The gates of hell shall not prevail against you," for "Behold I am with you all days, even to the consummation of the world."

By Rev. A. L. Bates, Pastor

The Free Methodist Church of Chittenango Station was organized in the year of 1869 by Rev. W. J. Selby. He continued as pastor until 1870.

The original class was known as the "Plank Road Class." It consisted of the following twenty charter members: Garrett Watkins, Ari Draper, John Case, William Shaver, Jane Watkins, Alwilda Crouch, Simeon Pennock, Caroline Crouch, Ann Case, Louise Atkins, Kate Huff, Joel Watkins, Olive Brownell, David Draper, Emmett Crowfoot, Mary Jane Crowfoot, Matilda Moory, Charles Moory and Sarah Newton.

According to official records the name was changed to "Chittenango Station Circuit" in 1873. The "circuit" consisted of four organized classes served by one pastor, and included Chittenango Station, Cicero, Ridgeville and Canasaraga.

In its early history the Free Methodist Church, like the Methodist Episcopal Church, believed in the system of itineracy for the ministry. Therefore, in the beginning, pastors were only permitted to remain on a charge for the period of one year. Later, by action of the General Conference, the rule was changed, allowing them to remain for a period of two years, if their labors were satisfactory and the charge desired their return. Because of this rule each of the following appointed pastors served either one or two years until the year 1902. At that time, by action of the General Conference, the time limit for pastors serving charges was extended to three years. This rule still prevails, except in cases of emergency.

For a period of thirty-three years the Station church was served by twenty-two pastors under the onw and two-year system. The following eleven pastors served under the one-year pastorate: W. J. Selby, Rev. Dempsey, B. F. Tysdale, Harvey Matthews, Rev. Fulford, A. H. Lee, H. A. Carpenter, Levi Kelly, W. E. Sitzer, L. E. Taylor and F. O. Dexter. Then Joseph Olney, O. W. Young, J. B. Stacey, O. N. Frink, T. C. Givens, R. M. Synder, M. W. Fuller, A. F. Curry, B. J. Austin and J. E. Tiffany served two years each. After an absence of ten years S. T. Givens was again appointed pastor and served for two years. In the year 1902 Rev. G. L. Skinner was appointed. He was the first pastor to remain for three years under the new rule. The circuit was then served three years each by C. E. Christman and S. I. Folts. Then C. A. Balch served two years, followed by O. F. Fero, who served one and a half years. He resigned on account of his wife's health and moved to California. The circuit was supplied by Annabel Collier and Bessie Lester, two young lady evangelists, for the remainder of the year.

At the annual Conference in September they were reappointed as supplies and served another year. In September, 1916, H. E. Barnes was appointed pastor, and served three years, followed by C. H. Hudson for three years. Then John G. Hessler and H. L. Cilly each served three years.

S. A. New and C. A. Steucke served three years each. In 1932 Miss Lola Hunt, an evangelist, was appointed pastor. She has the honor of being the only pastor to serve for four years. Then F. J. Hessler served two years and A. L. Bates, the present pastor, was appointed with his wife, Jessie Bates, as supply in September, 1938. In all thirty-eight pastors and supplies who have served the church over a period of sixty-nine years.

When the society was first organized in 1869, and until 1877, services were conducted in the school house located on the site of the. present church.

During the pastorate of Rev. B. F. Tysdale, in the year 1877, the present church was built. It consists of the main auditorium, and a class-room in the rear, which was originally used for a parsonage.

Four years later, under the labors of O. N. Frink, a parsonage was built about a quarter of a mile from the church. It was occupied by the succeeding pastors until 1929: While S. A. New was pastor the first parsonage was sold and a lot was purchased next to the church property and a beautiful parsonage of nine rooms and bath was built. The present modern parsonage, surrounded by a large, beautiful lawn and attractive shrubbery, stands prominent on the four corners of this rural community as a monument to the interest manifested on the part of the church and people of Chittenango Station. Much credit is due Rev. S. A. New as well as the members of the local church and the people of the community for their untiring efforts and labor in bringing to completion this attractive parsonage adjoining the church.

During the pastorate of Rev. S. I. Folts in 1910 the church was repaired and a new furnace installed to take the place of the stoves used in the auditorium. At the same time the seating arrangement was changed, making two large aisles instead of three. Two doors, opening into the auditorium from the front entrance room replaced the original single door. The auditorium was redecorated.

The church has undergone various repairs as needed at different times, such as replacing the old oil lamps with electricity and laying. hardwood floors. Plans are being made at the present time by official members, friends of the community and pastor to redecorate the church throughout.

A branch Sunday School is conducted by a group of young people at Smith Ridge school house, with Marienus Van Dyke as superintendent and Dorothy Van Dyke and Alberta Sattler as teachers. The local church still maintains the class meetings which were originated under the leadership of John Wesley, as well as the regular mid-week prayer service. All services of the church are well attended.

By the Pastor, Rev. R. L. Crosby

Fyler Union Orthodox Church was first organized in 1848. The building was erected on land owned by Silas Fyler. At the completion of the structure in July of that year, a special dedication was held. Rev. Luther Lee was invited to preach the dedicatory sermon and to assist in organizing the first class. It was called Fyler Settlement Wesleyan Methodist Church.

Some of the names of pastors who labored in the early days of its progress are on record: Rev. Arthur Hughes, Rev. Marcellus Barnum, Rev. Hosley Collins, Rev. Benjamin Ryder, Rev. Cyrus Prindle, Rev. Adam Crooks, Rev. John Mason and Rev. Reuel Ward.

In 1875 the trustees of this church voted to make extensive, needed repairs on the building. The actual cost, however, exceeded their estimate, and they sold the property to their creditors to cover the cost of repairs. The building was still open for public worship, however.

A number of interested persons in Fyler Settlement took upon themselves the task of freeing the church of the financial difficulties. Lewis Prosser, among others, took a subscription among the neighbors and friends of the church. In 1888 they secured the deed and bought the church from Silas B. Fyler.

At this time the class was reorganized as the Fyler Union Orthodox Church. They elected as their first head Rev. L. A. Grant. He served them for five years. Mr. Grant was succeeded in 1893 by Rev. E. D. Carpenter, who remained for three years. Rev. E. W. Bruce was called in 1896. Others who followed this ministry are the Rev. J. H. Launderville, 1900; Rev. L. A. Grant, 1907; Rev. F. A. Butterfield, 1916; Rev. Cox, 1919; Rev. Cook, 1921; Rev. E. D. Carpenter, 1923, who in June, 1938, completed fifteen years of faithful service to this church. The present pastor is Rev. R. L. Crosby.

By Rev. Baden P. Mudge, Pastor

Religion has found expression through several different societies and organizations in Bridgeport since the founding of this friendly community. Most of these served well during their years of existence and passed on to leave the Methodist Episcopal Church as the only organized society whose primary purpose is the dissemination of the gospel through the preaching of the word and the ministry of the church school.

The first record of organized religion in this village was in 1832, when the Bridgeport Union Religious Society was formed. It is evident that this group never owned any property. They probably met in homes and school houses. Their years of service were evidently numbered, because little is heard or known of them. The only note of it is in the county incorporation records at Wampsville in the "Religion and Library" record, Vol 1. In 1843 a Zion Church was also organized here. It was incorporated. It evidently was of short duration as no record of its work can be found. The First Baptist Church was organized here in 1845. There is no record, however, of the building of that church. A fine church was built and it was in use until 1899. For some time it was used by the Methodists, and after the building of the church by that society was soon abandoned. It was later purchased by Brown Brothers and is now used as the Bridgeport Town Hall.

No record of religious activity here would be complete without the mention oŁ the early work of the Rev. Austin O. Briggs, who settled near the lake shore east of Bridgeport, about 1812. He was a Methodist minister from the Eastern Connecticut Conference. He first built a log house on the shore of the lake and later erected a frame house about two miles east of Bridgeport. He belonged to the Northern and Madison jurisdiction of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

Following a series of revival services on the North Manlius circuit, a wave of religious enthusiasm swept over Bridgeport and left behind it a small but enthusiastic group of newly converted people who joined together in the first Methodist society here. That was about 1835. The meetings were held in the homes and school houses. The preacher lived at North Manlius. The East Settlement was also a part of this circuit. Services were held at irregular intervals, especially during the winter months. Class meetings were held regularly. The first pastor of this large circuit was the Rev. Allen B. Tilton. Later, following the temporary abandonment of the Baptist Church, the Methodists used that building. One Sunday when the Methodist minister came to the church to hold services he found that the Baptists had already sent a clergyman to renew services there. There was a hurried consultation, after which the Methodist group left and soon built the present structure. A group of local men sent a request to the conference asking for a clergyman. In their request they made it plain that if a good preacher were assigned to them they would gladly support him. If a poor one was sent he would preach to bare walls. Evidently a good one came, because the church flourished for many years. The name of the preacher who was sent by the conference was Rev. Silas Ball and he began his ministry in the spring of 1866. Rev. Gideon P. Jones came in 1867 and he was followed by Rev. Moses Lyon in 1868. He was here three years.

In the fall of 1868 "The First Methodist Episcopal Society of Bridgeport" was incorporated with the following trustees: Jefferson Hall, Oney Sayles, Asa Ames, Daniel Marvin, James S. Prosser, Ozias Osborn, D. Auchmoody, S. Jay Barnard and Richard Brown. In the years 1868-69 the present frame structure was built. For a number of years the Cicero Center Methodist Society has been attached to Bridgeport Circuit. In 1926 the Methodist Society of Collamer was added to the church family. Since the pastorate of Moses Lyon the following ministers have served here: Rev. A. E. Peck, 1871; Rev. T. F. Clark, 1872; Rev. Mathieson and Rev. Stocking, 1874; Rev. William M. Henry, 1875; Rev. Lyon, 1876; Rev. E. B. Gearhart, 1879; Rev. E. M. Lyon, 1880-81; Charles Howe, 1882-3; Gideon F. Draper, 1882-3; S. F. Beardslee, 1883-4; A. Haroun, 1884-5; R. L. Stillwell, 1885-6; Charles E. Fry, 1886-8; E. R. Perkins, 1888-90; F. N. Tooke, 1890-92; Edward Acker, 1892-94; William M. Wardwell, 1894-5; G. A. Bronson, 1895-6; H. F. Hill, 1896-7; Allen L. Hobart, 1897-1902; George M. Perkins, 1902-05; E. B. Granger, 1905-09; James E. Ensign, 1909-10; George W. Money, 1910-12; D. J. Ebert, 1912-1915; H. C. Andrews, 1915-17; A. H. Cann, 1917-18; E. S. Bardwell, 1918-20; Charles L. Hess, 1920-26; Baden P. Mudge, 1926-. The present pastor has served the three-point parish for 13 years at this time.

Religion in Bridgeport at the present time finds expression through the church which has been remodeled several times and added to in order to accommodate the present society. Within the present parent organization we find the following flourishing societies: Church School Board, Ladies' Aid Society, Board of Trustees' Society, Brotherhood, The Philathea Class, The Bible Class, Delta Alphas, Sunshine Group, The Scout Class, Adult Bible Class, Primary Department Society, Epworth League, League Entertainment Commission, Junior League and the Young Men's Class.

The Bridgeport Methodist Church is one of the most highly organized rural churches of the Central New York Conference, of which it is a part. It has passed through epidemic and depression with the banner of the Cross always unfurled. The people of the community are proud of the part the Methodist

Episcopal Church of Bridgeport has played in the introduction of many people to the highest standards of religion in life.


North Manlius was first called Chittenango Riffs. There was a saw and grist mill there before 1810. John Adams, a surveyor from Troy, settled about two miles south of Bridgeport, about 1803. He later moved to the present Adams farm at North Manlius, which is still owned and occupied by his descendants, and who still have the surveyor's instruments their ancestor brought from Troy.

John Matthews came here from Massachusetts and first settled south of Bolivar. About 1810 he purchased the saw and grist mills at Chittenango Riffs, which soon became known as Matthews Mills. He died in 1823, and they became the property of his brother Samuel. He was twice married. The children by his first wife were John, David, Henry James, Samuel, Margaret; and by his second wife, Joseph.

Matthews Mills was for some time the most important village between Fayetteville and Oneida Lake, and when it was decided to organize a church, that was the natural meeting place. On April 23, 1817, they met in the school house there and made plans for forming a Presbyterian Church. A covenant was agreed on which the following signed, as near as signatures can be determined:

John Cook, Joseph Harnes, Elisha Hays, Peggy Hotchkiss, Noorner Mayo, Samuel Chapman, William Winton, Sidney Brown, James Barron, Livenida Cook, Blanchfield Howe, Mary Harnes.

After its organization it immediately became part of the Onondaga Presbytery. The Articles of Faith were adopted February 22, 1819.

They held services at Bridgeport, Sullivan, and in school houses between Fayetteville and the Oneida Lake. In 1828 they started building a church. It was completed the following year, and the first service was held June 7, 1829. It stood where the Baptist parsonage now stands.

The names of the pastors obtainable are John Davenport, T. Baldwin and C. J. Chapman. The membership gradually declined and the last record in the minute book was dated May 21, 1854, and recorded, "no quorum present."

Matthews Mills began to decline in importance. The New York Central R, R. was built and Minoa and Kirkville became thriving villages. The mills burned, and while it is still a place of many handsome residences, its importance as a business center is gone.


Below is a report of the meeting at which the North Manlius Church was organized:

"An Ecclesiastical Council held in the school house near Matthews Mills in Sullivan, on the ninth day of July, 1833, by the request of the Brethren of the North Branch of the Fayetteville Baptist for the purpose of examining into the situation and circumstances and if thought expedient to give them Fellowship as a Church. Elder John Peck was appointed Moderator; and L. P. Noble, clerk. A prayer was given by Brother Henry Clark. The churches invited to meet in council were called, and the following delegates appeared: Fayetteville Church: Deacon Sandford B. Palmer, Deacon Henrv Edwards, and Brother Sinaeus Hisebb. Manlius Church: Deacon Elias Stilwell and Deacon Jesse Smith, Moses Gells, James Sissan and William Weston. Syracuse Church: Deacon Elinathon Cobb, Brethren Zebulan Kinne. Cazenovia Church: Elder John Peck Blother Stephen Hull.

"Brethren of other churches present invited to a seat with us were Brethren Henry Clark and Julius Hulbert.

"Deacon Allen Breed and Brother Nelson Camp, in behalf of the Brethren calling the Council, gave a statement of the situation to the Brethren. Prayer was offered by the Moderator.

"Adjourned for one hour. "Two o'clock p. m. Council met pursuant to adjournment. Prayer by Brother Clark. Examined as to the number, standing and gifts of the brethren proposing to form said Church and also examined their 'articles of faith' and Church Covenant.

"The Council having obtained information on these points retired for deliberation. After Mature Deliberation the Council resolved unanimously to recognize the following brethren and sisters as a Church of Christ in Gospel order: Elder Allen Breed, Nelson Camp, Phineas Kinne, Jacob Tomb, Joebam Sawyer, William Goodfellow. Ezra Williams, Mary Keller, Adah Keller, Polly Saegeant, Lucina Dewy, Eunice Lord, Lucy Sawyer, Rhoda Franklin, Lydia Fyler, Jane Egglestone, Rachel Perkins, Diadima Kinne, Huldah Goodfellow, Phebe Onley, Elizabeth Landers.

"By vote of the Council, their Moderator, in behalf of the same, gave the right hand of fellowship to Brother Allen Breed in behalf of the newly constituted Church.

"After singing and prayers the Moderator preached a sermon from Psalm 145, 'They shall speak of the glory of Thy Kingdom.' Prayer was by Brother Clark.

"The Council then adjourned, "Lincous P. Noble, Clerk. "John Peck, Moderator."

The Clerks' books record little but the Covenant meetings. Inquiry into the conduct of the members, especially as regards their behavior towards their families, but one brother was called to account for imbibing too freely of hard cider at a husking bee.

The Baptists used the Presbyterian Church when available until they built their own Church in 1854. The society was reorganized at that time and the name changed to the First Baptist Church of North Manlius.

A list of the pastors from 1833 to 1933 is as follows:

Breed, Shapcott, Douglas, Swan, Shute, Brown, Bechweth, Morley, Ash, Lindsley, Phillipps, Sears, Davis, Goodspeed, Sharp, Donovan, Grant, Gage, Huntington, Fenner, Bauber, Perkins, Croft, Himes, Grey, Stoddard, Perry, Stoddard, Wilson, Sensabaugh, Stevenson, Nightingale, Wilson, Knepkam, Hughes.

The Church celebrated its founding with appropriate ceremonies on the 100th anniversary.

The program commenced Saturday, July 8, 1933, at 2:30 p. m. with the Devotional by Rev. C. W. Fryor. A history of the Church was given by Mrs. F. E. Jennings and an address by Rev. Clayton R. Stoddard. At the Saturday evening meeting the minutes of July 9, 1833, were read by Harold F. Hubbs, Church Clerk, and there were addresses by Rev. Derwood Smith and Rev. Baden P. Mudge. Sunday morning there was an address by Rev. Charles J. McLean; Sunday evening the Devotional by Rev. J. G. Hill, and an address by Rev. J. T. Cowan, and special music by Bethany Baptist Church Quartet.

The following churches took part in the celebration of the Fayetteville Baptist Church: The Manlius Baptist Church, the Cazenovia Baptist Church, and the First Baptist Church, Syracuse.


The Methodist Church at North Manlius was organized in 1837. There was a Methodist Society there as early as 1830. They and the Baptists both used the Presbyterian Church, when available, until they built for themselves. Other times they met in school houses and private dwellings.

Mr. Baldwin was preaching at North Manlius in 1832. The parish extended from Fayetteville to the Oneida Lake, as did the Presbyterian and Baptist. They had a very large church.

In 1835 the Methodists at Bridgeport withdrew and formed a society of their own. Kirkville followed soon after.

In 1851-2 a church was built at North Manlius. Mr. Adams and a party of men drew the lumber across Oneida Lake on the ice.

During 1853 an extraordinary revival took place and over 100 were converted. The church was then at the peak of its prosperity, with 350 members.

Mr. Dewey gave the land for a cemetery early in the nineteenth century. This was used by all the churches.

The ministers who followed Mr. Baldwin, as well as can be learned from irregular records, are as follows: Revs. Gideon Jones, Adkins, Damon, Ball, Stanley Munger, Tooke, Webster, Ross, Stocking, E. G. Wood, Sackett, Giles, E. W. Andrews, Redhead, Rockwell, Lyon, Hoffmire, Hitchcock, Moxcey, G. C. Wood, H. B. Smith, J. E. Showers, George E. Pollock, M. S. Leete, G. H. Pettingill, 1907-9; O. J. Purington, 1909-12; C. R. Victory, 1912-15; A. E. Smith, 1915-17; A. H. Burnett, 1922-26; C. N. Ouderkirk, 1926-31; C. W. Fryer, 1932-35, and the present pastor, Rev. Frank Boyd, who has charge of this church and the Minoa Methodist Church.

A Ladies' Aid Society was formed early in the church organization. Its principle work for nearly a century has been piecing and tieing off quilts. For nearly a hundred years the ladies of this church society have met and quilted and pieced and, possibly, visited a little, but not enough to interfere with their work. Thirty years ago Edmund Adams wrote in the church paper, that "they had quilted quilts enough to fill the church." They are still at it.

©1999- All rights reserved.