Madison County, NY
Series of 26 articles describing the families of the 1802 land purchase
written by William H. Tuttle for the Oneida Democratic Union,
with the first article appearing January 15, 1931 and the last September 10, 1931.
March 26, 1931
Lot No. 13 of the "Purchase of 1802" was one of the pieces of property originally owned by Peter Smith. Many settlers on this lot were veterans of the war of 1812. Regarding the history of the farms on this lot W. H. Tuttle writes: Lots 18 and 14 were patented by Peter Smith. Smith's first sale in Lot 13 was 33 acres along the East side to Henry Adle prior to 1809. This is now part of the Parkhurst farm. On March 22, 1809 Smith sold John Reminsnyder the balance of the lot, 136 1/2 acres;. reserving 1/2 acre in the S. W. corner where a house stood. This 1/2 acre Smith sold later to William Lawrence. Reminsnyder sold David Tuttle 38 acres on the West side of the lot for $275 on December 28, 1810. This 38 acre lot was sold by David and Polly Tuttle to Adam Boyer, March 10, 1815. Boyer sold the South 20 acres to George Pickel March 18, 1816 for $300. Pickel sold to William Lawrence May 28, 1817. Amos Lawrence, while he owned the Lawrence farm, sold the 20 acres to William Tuttle March 13, 1867, who sold to Frank A. Miller. Miler later purchased the central part of lot 13 to which this was added. Adam Boyer sold the balance of his 38 acres to Moses Lawrence March 18, 1816. Nine acres of this was joined to the Lawrence farm and nine acres was known as the Helmer place. The 33 acres on the East side was conveyed to Peter Smith to Henry Adle. Adie sold to Nicholas J. Forbes March 6, 1817 for $550. Forbes sold to Obediah Bates April 16, 1819 for $750. Bates and wife, Ruth, and John N. and Maria Forbes sold to The Lenox Iron Co., April 5, 1822 for $600. They bought for the timber which they used in making charcoal for their furnace at the Iron Works. They sold to Robert Powell November 13. 1826 for $700. Robert and Clarissa Powell sold to Epothoditus Bligh December 1, 1829 for $1,050, 24 acres in lot 13 and 15 acres of The Dolly Dana lot No. A. "Purchase of 1817." Bligh sold to William Parkhurst April 1, 1869. This is the West part of the Andrew Parkhurst farm. John Reminsnyder and son John; Jr., were sold out by Sheriff William Hatch March 29, 1811, David Tuttle being the purchaser, except 12 acres along the North side of the lot which was sold separately and bought by Peter Smith. Smith sold to William Seeber March 1, 1834: This is now owned by Clarence Goff and is the lot in the Goff farm south of the road. Tuttle sold to Nicholas I. Forbes March 10, 1815: Forbes was sold out by Sheriff John Mattison January 17, 1818, Tuttle again being the purchaser. He sold to Peter Betsinger September 16, 1832. Betsinger sold to Harrison Rouse October 16, 1856. Rouse sold to Amos Lawrence April 1, 1861. Lawrence sold to C. C. Cooper. From him the farm passed to John Maine who sold to his son-in-law, Frank A: Miller. Miller sold to Roderick Wormuth including in the sale the 20 acres Miller owned in the S. W. corner of the lot. John Reminsnyder, whose wife's name was Ene, was one of the pioneer settlers from the Mohawk with his brothers, Adam and Martin P. John Reminsnyder had a son, John Jr., who married Peggy, daughter of John Clock. They had three sons, John I., Rudolf and Peter R. John I. was born in Lenox, 1806. His wife was Mary, born 1821. Their children were Matilda, 1844; Jane, 1847; Daniel, 1852; Martin, 1855; Malvina, 1858. Adam R. was born in the Mohawk Valley in 1789 and died June 6, 1846. His wife Anna, daughter of Conrad Buyea, was born 1785 and died February 29, 1860. Their children were: Abraham, 1813-1894; Nicholas, 1819-1824; Mary, 1823; Samuel, 1825. Adam R. and Martin P. were veterans of the war of 1812, serving in the 74th Regiment, in Beecher's Company. About 1815 the family dropped the Remin from their last name and substituted an initial R (sic). Adam Boyer (sometimes spelled Buyea, though they were of two distinct families) was the son of Valentine and Margaret Boyer. His wife was Peggy. He had a brother, William. He owned a farm in lot 27 in 1817. Margaret Boyer born 1758, died May 5, 1833. Adam Boyer was also a veteran of Capt. Beecher's Company. George Pickel born 1784; died June 21, 1846, wife Barbary. He was a veteran of the war of 1812 as was his brother, Henry who went from here to Barr, Mich., and died there. Henry Adle, wife Catherine, died about 1821, while living on the Durfee road. He owned about 15 acres there which is now part of the Lopitz farm. Their children were Henry. Jr., Susanna, George, Joseph; Magdelena, Polly, Katy, John and Conrad. Epothoditus Bligh was born in Connecticut, in 1792. He died March 10, 1868. Bligh settled in Madison county in 1819. His wife, Eliza was born 1801. Their children were Milton, 1832; Sarah, 1837; Anna, 1843 and Mary E.; who married Giles Cranson. Bligh was a candidate for Highway Commissioner of the Town of Lenox in 1888 and was defeated. He was a Grand Juror from 1841 to 1855. He joined Lenox Lodge No. 281, F. & A. M., May 28, 1829. The family were Baptists, and were, noted singers. The upper road was named from them. Milton D. Bligh born 1832; wife; Sarah, 1886; son Fremont, 1857. Milton was Census Enumerator for Town of Lenox in 1855; Town Constable 1859. He joined Clockville Lodge 155, I. O. O. F., July 11, 1853.
April 9, 1931
Lot No. 14 of the "Purchase of 1802" was mostly occupied by the Harp family. An early diary of Mrs. Simon Harp is very interesting Lot No. 15 was settled by the Moot family about 1796. W. H. Tuttle’s history is as follows: Lot 14 was patented by Peter Smith. Smith sold to William Melius of Kinderhook, N. Y. February 29, 1812, 128 acres. Sylvester Beecher was a witness to the deed. Melius sold to his son-in-law; Merit Carpenter, December 17, 1820, leaving a widow, Cornelia, and two daughters, Polly, born March 22, 1817, and Margaret, born December 26, 1818. The widow, Cornelia, married Simon Harp, January, 8, 1824. Harp was the son of George Harp, and was born in Lenox in 1802. Simon and Cornelia had three children, Catherine, 1827; William W., 1827, and Merit C., 1830. Cornelia Harp and her daughters deeded the farm to Simon. She was born in 1791 and died November 6, 1831. Simon deed his farm in lot 14 to his son Merit. On his death it passed to his son, Fred C. William W. Harp was born August 6, 1827, and died August 3, 1908. His wife was Mary, daughter of Salmon Johnson, born January 12, 1837, died January 22, 1921. Their daughter Florence, born, in 1860 married Charles A. Hitchcock of Chittenango. She died June 2, 1884. Merit Carpenter Harp was born in 1829 and died August 5, 1909. His wife, Mary, daughter of A. B. Clark, born in 1838, died April 15, 1913. Their children were: Mary C., 1856; Fred C., 1862, and Minnie A., 1869. Fred C. Harp married Mary Evans, born 1874.She died in 1919. They had three children, Jennie Grace, December 10, 1908; Robert Ellis, January 26, 1910, and Doris, June 15, 1911. From a diary kept in 1823 by widow Carpenter (Mrs. Simon Harp) is an account with M. Carheart and D. Wolf, blacksmiths, presumably at Quality Hill, where she exchanged 5-1/2 pounds wool at $2.39, 12 pounds mutton at 93c and 3 pounds butter at 37c for work done. Conrad Moot, settled lot No. 15 about 1796. He obtained a patent from the State when the "Purchase of 1802" was placed on the market. Moot sold Jacob Forbes 20 acres on the east side, October 12, 1824, for $400. He deeded the homestead to his sons, Daniel B. and Conrad G., March 31, 1835, 134 acres, and 46 in northeast corner lot 22. Daniel B. Moot bought out the interest of his brother, Conrad G. Bloom D. Moot and Clarence Rasback, as executors of the Daniel B. Moot estate, deeded to a son, Melanthan N. Moot, September 11, 1897, the 134 acres in lot 15. It is now owned by Moot’s daughter, Mrs. Mildred Wagoner, of Oklahoma. Conrad Moot was born 1759, died August 8, 1843. His. wife, Elizabeth, born 1767, died December 20, 1831. They are buried at Canastota. Moot was one of the incorporators and directors of the Lenox Iron Co. in 1815. Daniel B. Moot, born March 26, 1808, died August 8, 1891. His wife, Elizabeth, born September 26, 1812, died March 31, 1890. Children, Bloom D.; 1834; Malanthan, 1837; Elizabeth, 1841; Theodore G., 1843; Nancy, 1850; Ellen and Belle. Daniel B. was elected director at the incorporation of the Canastota National Bank in 1856. Conrad G. Moot was born August 8, 1809, died March 21, 1893. His wife, Mary Ann, daughter of Col. Chapman, born April 21, 1815, died June 23, 1897. She had two sons, Stephen G., born 1837, died 1906, and Romaine, born October 22, 1839, died from wounds inflicted by a horse, June 20, 1865. There was a John C. Moot, who lived near Conrad, sr., on the road connecting Kelsey’s corners and Goff’s. He was a lawyer and drew and witnessed many of the early deeds. He was here as early as 1803, and has elected one of three road commissions at the first town meeting held in Lenox, 1809. He was grand juror, 1812, and 1819, and captain in 74th Regiment of Militia in 1809, probably brother of Conrad, sr.
April 16, 1931
The Forbes family settled lot 16 of the “Purchase of 1802.” A. Forbes was the first poormaster of Lenox township and the first cemetery in the “Purchase of 1802” was on the Forbes farm. The family spelled their name “Forbush” when they first settled here. W. H. Tuttle’s story of lot 16 is as follows: Lot 16 was settled by Jacob Forbes prior to its purchase by the State in 1802. Forbes finished paying the State and received a patent July 14, 1814. Forbes sold to Sybrient Fort 60 acres of the east side of the lot October 19, 1809. After he received his patent, he gave him another deed to the same property, March 24, 1815. Forbes bought. and sold several parcels in lots 22 and 23, which lay to the south of lot 16. He sold his entire real estate in lots 16, 22, and 23 to his son, Isaac J. Forbes, September 20, 1826, for $2,500. Isaac made an assignment to Silas Sayles, December 9, 1843. Silas Sayles sold to William G. Sayles, May 1, 1844; and, by him to Daniel B. and Conrad G. Moot, February 21, 1845. Daniel B. Moot bought out the interest of his brother and owned the farm till his death in 1891. It was purchased by J. Leslie Craig, who sold in 1930 to Thomas Hoyt, who now owns the property. The 60 acres sold to Siebrient Fort on October 19, 1809, was sold by his heirs, Sylvester, Sophia and Richard Fort; to Sylvester Beecher, November 11, 1826. Beecher sold to Martin Cranson, March 13, 1828, for $3,000. There was a lot containing 30 acres in lot 22 that went with this farm; also 64 acres in lot 17 to the east. Cranson sold off 14 acres to Henry Watson in lot 22 and 42 acres off lot 17 to William G. Sayles. Cranson died March 7, 1843. He gave Beecher a mortgage when he bought the farm in 1828, which was not entirely paid at the time of his death. The property was sold at sheriff’s sale held at the Railroad Coffee House at Canastota, kept by D. W. Jones, May 16, 1844, and bid in by Beecher. W. S. Cady and Daniel Crouse, executors and trustees of Beecher’s estate, sold to William G. Sayles, September 6, 1852. Sayles sold to Bloom D. Moot and he to Chloe Kelsey, April 1, 1864. William Kelsey, her son, was the next owner, and at his death it went to his son, Elbert M. Kelsey, the present owner. Martin Cranson was born 1788, and died March 7, 1843.His wife Lucinda, born 1798.Children were Colesta, 1824, Eliza, 1833; Margaret, 1836; Newton, 1832; Austin, 1828, and Josephine. Martin was son of Cabal Cranson, an early settler on lot 31. Martin owned the King Hotel at Clockville in 1834. Jacob Forbes was born in the Mohawk Valley in 1766. He died in the early 50’s while living with Thomas Lawrence. His wife Caty, born 1764, died in 1850. They had thirteen children, ten sons and three daughters, Jacob Jr., Isaac, jr., Bartholmay J., Margaret (Lawrence). The others are unknown. Jacob Forbes was the first poor master elected in the town of Lenox in 1809. Isaac J. Forbes, born 1796, died at Lafayette, Ind., in late forties. His wife Abigail, daughter, Silas Sayles, born March 6, 1804, died February 14; 1852. Children, Mary (King), 1827; Janette,1831; Emeline (Minor), 1832; Harriet (Johnson), Garret A., 1836 1906; Herman, 1839; Amelia, 1841-1862; Isaac, Jr., and Jacob. Isaac J. Forbes joined Lenox Lodge 281, F. & A. M., in 1825. He was Justice of peace for town of Lenox, 1841-43, and sheriff of Madison County. The Forbes when they came here spelled their name Forbush. They were Methodists and the first Methodist Episcopal Society in northern Madison County was organized at the home of Jacob Forbes on lot 16; May 8, 1813. He was one of nine trustees elected at this meeting. Soon after the first church was erected nearly across the road from his house. This was taken down in 1832 and moved to Clockville. The first cemetery in this purchase was located in the orchard on the present Hoyt farm. The cemetery at Clockville was set aside by the State in 1803 for a poor burying ground, and was reserved as such when Col. Chapman bought the land in the southeast corner of lot 11 in 1813. About 1830 an addition was made to the Clookville cemetery and lots laid out in regular order. Soon after this the cemetery in the Forbes farm was abandoned. Those who were able had their relatives who lay in the Forbes. The stones in times past have been removed and no trace of the burial place remains. I have been able to find but one stone that marked a grave there. That of Atwell N., son of David and Elsie Gordon, born 1824, died July 16, 1827.May 14, 1931
Mill Built in 1812 on Lincoln Lot 14
May 14, 1931 Continuing his historical sketches of the “Purchase of 1802,” W. H. Tuttle this week describes the early settlers of lot No. 17. Here a sawmill was built in 1812; some thought it would become a business center and erected a tavern; sheep and cattle from surrounding farms were driven west to Michigan. Let Mr. Tuttle tell the story. About 1806 Sybrient Fort and his wife, Sophia and sons, Sylvester and Richard, settled on lot 17. He received his patent June 20, 1814. On January 5, 1815, he deeded 80 acres off the east side to Nicholas I. Forbes. Forbes had contracted for this some years prior, for he was building a new house upon the site of Frank Pankhurst’s present home, when John Clock made his will in the spring of 1813. Fort imagined that Kelsey’s Corners, instead of Clockville, would become the business center of new settlement for he purchased 60 acres off the east side of lot 16 of Jacob Forbes, October 9, 1809. Here he conducted a tavern for a number of years. This was upon the site of the present Kelsey house. Forbes sold Stephen Chapman and Richard G. Imerson 10 acres off the east side of his 80 acres. This is the lot now owned by W. V. Bosworth, west of the Stone road above Mrs. Florence Reynolds’. It was bought to protect the water rights of the sawmill built by Chapman and Imerson in 1812. Forbes was sold out by Ezra Cloyes, sheriff, on February 24, 1824. The property was bought by Thomas and Betsey Christian of Utica, who sold to Julius A. Spencer January 5, 1827. Spencer sold to Silas Sayles on December 20, 1828, for $2,500. Sayles sold to his son Olney, November 10, 1834. Oney and Betsey Sayles sold to Joshua G. Palmer March 25, 1837, for $4,000. Palmer sold to William G. Sayles January 30, 1847. Sayles sold to Stephen Freeman June 22, 1848. While owned by Freeman 42 acres on the west of this same lot was added to the farm. Freeman and Hulda Cloyes sold to Amos Lawrence April 1, 1867 for $10,967. The farm later passed to his son, George Lawrence who sold to Frank Pankhurst in 1929. Lot 17 contained 137 acres when patented by Fort. Eighty acres were sold to Forbes, leaving Fort 56 acres on the west side, which was added to the 60 acres purchased by Fort of Jacob Forbes in 1809. Fourteen acres of this was sold to Henry Watson while the farm was owned by Martin Cranson. The remaining 42 acres were sold by Sylvester Beecher’s executors to Silas Spaulding April 23, 1851. He sold to James McPherson April 4, 1855, for $2,450. McPherson and wife, Malinda, sold to Artemus Watson January 12, 1857. Artemus and Clarissa Watson sold to their son, Austin A., March 16, 1860. He sold to Bloom D. Moot March 1, 1862. Moot and wife, Nellie deeded to Patrick Haley April 22, 1863, for $3,000. Patrick and Mary Haley sold to Hulda Cloyes (formerly Hulda Brooks). She was the wife of Stephen Freeman and the farm was united to the east 70 acres owned by Freeman, and has since been one farm. William G. Sayles was born at Peterboro, 1812; wife Civilla, born 1817; children, Caroline, 1837; Ellen, 1838; Edgar, 1842; Grove, 1847. Silas Spaulding was born in Connecticut, May 11, 1783, died May 5, 1881; first wife, Polly, daughter John Clock, born August 29, 1784; died May 19, 1857; second wife, Catherine, born March 23, 1818; died November 18, 1897. Spaulding was a Baptist clergyman at Clockville for many years and owned the Adam Buyea house. Nicholas J. Forbes (wife Caty) was a grand juror, 1812. Witness to a deed November 14, 1806 and a school trustee in 1814. Was a veteran of the War of 1812. He owned a store in the village in 1815; also owned the George Darling house and lot prior to 1820. Went from here to Hastings, Oswego County, N.Y. Julius A. Spencer owned the present parsonage and the Darling house and lot between 1820 and 1830. He taught the village school in 1822. Oney Sayles was born September 8, 1807, and died July 9, 1893. His wife Betsy, born March 6, 1809, died February 4, 1858. They are buried at Quality Hill. Joshua G. Palmer was born in Connecticut October 22, 1790, died June 16, 1868; first wife, Ester, daughter of Peleg and Hannah Randall; born February 16, 1796; died June 15, 1849; second wife, Freelove, sister of Ester, born August 29, 1784; died in Jackson County Mich., July 10, 1870. Children by first marriage, Stephen, born February 7, 1817; William H., born November 7, 1819, died June 8, 1846; Polly C., May 15, 1821; Hannah K., 1825; Marie, born June 26, 1828, died 1871; Courtland P., born October 14, 1831; Martin J., March 1, 1833. His second wife was the widow of Abel Kinney, 1772-1846; married December 29, 1803. Children by fFirst marriage, Abel, 1804-1839; Peleg, 1806-1870; Loami, 1808; Asa, 1810, Rachel 1812; Martin P., 1814; Samuel N., 1817; Benjamin J., 1820; Francis, 1823. Palmer owned the William Danehy farm from 1816 to 1853, was a trustee of the cemetery on the Cranson farm in 1838. He made at least four trips overland to Jackson County, Michigan, driving cattle and sheep. When this part of Michigan was opened for settlement in 1835, he bought a farm apiece for four of his sons and drove cattle from Madison County to stock them, the last trip being made about 1856. James McPherson was a mason by trade. He was born in Herkimer County in 1824. His wife Malinda was born in Columbia County in 1832. They had one son, Franklin A., born 1854. Frank Pankhurst was the son of Jeremiah, a native of England. Frank was born in 1876. He married Eva, daughter of William Yorton. They have two children, Calvin and Alice.May 21, 1931
Lincoln Settlers Were of Valiant Breed
Descendants of Henry Ward Beecher Here--Early
Deeds Caused Trouble--Cooper Shops Were Busy
Lot No. 18, "Purchase of 1802" was settled by Joseph Clock, son of the pioneer Conrad. The original house and farm barns were situated on the county road just above Mrs. Carver’s. The house was moved by J. W. Foster while he owned the farm, to a new location and enlarged, and is now used as a tenant house. The barn was taken down about two years ago. Joseph Clock and his wife, Mary, sold to their son, John I. Clock on October 14, 1815, 40 acres along the East side of the lot. They also sold to John Forbes a lot on the county road where Charles Beall now lives. Clock never received a patent from the State; and some of his, early deeds caused considerable trouble to later owners. On November 18, 1820, Joseph Clock quit claimed any interest he had in lot 18 to Stephen Chapman. This cleared the way for patents to be obtained to the lot. Gideon Chapman, brother of Stephen, obtained a patent to the East 192 acres November 25, 1820. This included the 40 acres sold to John I. Clock. Stephen Chapman received a patent to 57 acres on the West side February 12, 1847. On January 13, 1821, Gideon Chapman and his wife, Polly. gave a deed to Joseph Clock for the 109 acres for $1,000. Clock gave new deeds for what he had sold except to the school district. The district had purchased the point between the Bligh and county roads of Clock in 1818. Years later when the farm, was owned by Sylvester Beecher, he had a long dispute with the district over this deed and the district finally paid him $40 for a clear title. Joseph Clock sold Nicholas I. Forges, the six acres between the Bligh and county roads, now owned by James Weeks, on June 26; 1821. This deed was witnessed by Sally Handy. Ebenezer Robbins was Commissioner of Deeds. Clock and wife deeded what they still owned in lot 18, about 52 acres, to Sylvester Beecher July 6, 1824. This was to become the East part of the Wilcox farm. Joseph Clock was a veteran of the Revolution, serving in the Second Regiment, Tyron County Militia, under Col. Jacob Clock. This branch of the Clock family moved from Clockville to Hastings, Oswego county. It is not known if they had other children except the son, John L., whose wife’s name was Elizabeth. Sylvester Beecher deeded to Jonathan Goff July 7, 1824. Golf was born in Connecticut in 1801. His wife was E. Jane, born in Madison county in 1818. They had a daughter, Mary E. Goff was a brother of Oliver Goff, with whom he purchased a farm at Goff’ s Corners in 1822. He sold out there to his brother and came to Clockville. Goff deeded to Christian Kilts, March 24, 1826. Kilts sold the Methodist Protestant society the site on which they situated the church in 1832. Christian Kilts was a son of Conrad Kilts, Sr., a pioneer settler on lot 20. He was born in the Mohawk Valley in 1791 and died January 8, 1867. His wife, Catherine, was born 1792 and died April 27, 1875. He was one of the organizers and first trustee of the Methodist Protestant Society in 1882. Kilts deed to Alanson Wilcox, Sr., March 31, 1836. As Wilcox was the first owner of the farm as it is today, we will trace his other purchases. His first purchase, was the 40 acres owned by John L Clock. This he bought October 9, 1824 for $800. On March 25, 1826, he purchased 24-1/2 acres of the West side of lot 19 of Peter Smith and on March 31, 1836, the 50 or more acre farm of Kilts. The present house and barns are on that part purchased of John Clock. The present house was built in 1836. In the rear is part of the John I. Clock house built very early in the century. Wilcox made several small sales and purchases on the East side of his farm and also in lot 19 on the East. He at one time, owned the four acres in the S. E. corner of lot 11 across the road from his residence. When be sold this, he retained a small plot on the point opposite his residence where he had a cooper shop. The building has been gone for 66 years or more but the site still belongs to the farm. John Popple worked in this shop when a young man. Wooden pails, lard and butter tubs and pork barrels were made there. On January 17, 1846, Wilcox deeded the farm to Silas Spaulding and on October 21st of the same year Spaulding deeded back to Wilcox. Deacon Alanson Wilcox was born in Canton, Conn., September 10, 1787, and died from the effects of a kick by a horse received in the King Hotel barns June 30, 1849. He was the son of Col. William Wilcox and Mercy Case, and was one of twelve children. Philena, 1802-April 12,1864, wife of Capt. Lucius Brooks was a sister. Their father, Col. William Wilcox, 1758-1827 and grandfather, Lieut. William Wilcox, 1727-1775. Both served in the Revolution. The grandfather was made a Lieutenant at the battle of Lexington. Deacon Alanson was the seventh generation from William Wilcox. born at St. Albans, England, in 1601 and who came to America in the ship Plaulis in 1635. He with two or three others were the original settlers at Hartford, Conn., in 1639. He died at Hartford in 1652. His son, Samuel, settled at Canton, Conn., where many members of the family still reside. Dean Alanson Wilcox was married on July 2, 1812 to Irene Johnson, born January 4, 1791, died September 17, 1867. She was a sister of Salmon Johnson. the father of Mrs. William Harp. They were second cousin of Sylvester Beecher, also to Henry Ward Beecher. Their mother, Hulda Beecher Johnson and Sylvester’s father being first cousins of Lyman Beecher, father of Henry Ward Beecher. Mercy Case Wilcox, the mother of Alanson, was a daughter of Capt. Zacheus Case of Canton, Conn., who served throughout the Revolution. He had a son, Cabal, whose son, Horace, born in Canton in 1776, settled on lot 39 in 1806. Deacon Alanson Wilcox and his wife moved to Chenango county in 1816. In 1817 they moved to Lenox. He rented land of his cousin, Homes Case for several years, living in a log house on the West side of the road. He was a cooper by trade and had a shop on the Case farm. He came to lot 18 in 1824. Mr. and Mrs. Wilcox had 11 children: Hulda, born April 12, 1813, died May 13, 1815; Infant son born December 12, 1814, died December 24, 1814; Celestia, born March 18, 1816, died July 7, 1834; Laura B. and Alanson C. twins, born October 29, 1818; Hulda born July 16, 1820; died May 13, 1894, married B. F. Chapman; Irene, born August 7, 1822, died January 28, 1892, married Charles B. Johnson; Orville, born September 9, 1824, died in 1826; Mary E.; born May 26, 1826, died May 20, 1845; Jane P., born October 6; 1827, died December 17, 1843; Maria P., born February 25, 1834, died April 9, 1900, married W. V. Bosworth January 4, 1853. On April 1, 1850 the heirs of Deacon Wilcox, deed the farm to Harry W. Cotton, one of the sons-in-law. Cotton deeded to Alanson C. Wilcox in 1852. Alanson C. Wilcox married Catherine, daughter of Jacob C. and Marls. Harder Hyck, March 9, 1842. She was born January 7, 1821 and died August 4. 1895. Their children were Mary (Whitman), 1844; Irene A. born 1846, died April 23, 1866. Sarah (Chapman) 1848-1915; Frances (Foster) 1851; Charles A., born 1856, died July 18, 1857. Alanson C. was a charter member of Clockville Lodge No. 313 I. O. O. F. in 1872 and continued a member until his death. He had been a member of the original Odd Fellows Lodge having joined March 31, 1849, and was Noble Grand of that lodge when it disbanded in 1856. His brother- in-law, Harry W. Cotton joined the same night. The Wilcox family were Baptists, while the church at Clockville was in operation. When the church closed in the eighties, they became Methodists. Alanson was a trustee at the time the, new church was built, and aided vary much in the financial part of the undertaking. After the death of Alanson Jr., the farm was occupied by his son-in-law, J. Wesley Foster. He was a son of Hosea Foster of lot 37, born March 11, 1848. He died May 31, 1924. Foster was at one time Commissioner of Highways of the town of Lenox. He was a prominent Republican and a member of Clockville Lodge of Odd Fellows. For many years he was s trustee of the M. E. Church. Mr. and Mrs. Foster had one daughter, Grace Irene, born 1881, who married Rev. William H. Powers. They reside at Syracuse. Mrs. Foster sold the homestead in 1925 to Charles W. Skeele. Skeele was a World War Veteran, a member of Canastota Masonic lodge and of the Clockville lodge of Odd Fellows. His wife, Iva, taught the village school for two years. Skeele sold the farm to a Mr. Wheeler who died soon after moving here. It is now occupied by his widow. Mrs. Ella Wheeler. The West side of the lot, patented by Stephen Chapman, was deeded by him to his son, Harrison, in 1860. From Harrison, on his death in 1900, it passed to his son, George W. Chapman. After the death of Mr. and Mrs. Chapman in 1915, it was sold with the Chapman residence on the hill to Andrew Thornton. Gideon Chapman, mentioned early in this article, was a brother of Stephen. He was born at Stonington, Ct., July 10, 1788 and died February 19, 1847. Since this was written Mrs. Wheeler has sold the farm. ------------------------------------------------ Weeks 1-4 provided from copies at the Madison County Historical Society by Douglas J. Ingalls; and transcribed by Jo Dee Frasco. Appeared previously on "A Bit of the Past," Mike Hollingsworth's site.