Madison County, NY

William H. Tuttle's Articles - 1802 Land Purchase

Weeks 5-10

Series of 26 articles describing the families of the 1802 land purchase written by William H. Tuttle for the Oneida Democratic Union, with the first article appearing January 15, 1931 and the last September 10, 1931.


Weeks 1-4
Weeks 5-10 (below)
Weeks 11-15
Weeks 16-20
Weeks 21-26

February 12, 1931
Fighting Farmers of
Lincoln Were Boatmen
Farming. and Canaling Combined as a Business—
Fancy Prices Paid For Land in Early Days

Lots Nos. 4 and 9 of the "Purchase of 1802" hold unusual interest. The 
farms on these lots frequently sold at fancy figures in early days. and 
were owned by families prominent in county business and politics. Men 
had to be "hard" in those days. In the following sketch W. H. Tuttle tells 
of the fighting boatman of early Erie Canal days.

Lots Nos. 4 and 9, with the 50 acres in the southeast corner of lot No. 8, 
were one farm till about 1850. It comprised 303acres and most, if not all, 
was patented by Sylvanus Smalley as soon as the State placed this 
purchase on sale.

Sylvanus Smalley was one of the first settlers at Quality Hill and 
probably never lived on this farm. When the county was forged in 1806, 
he was one of the associate judges. Peter Smith was first judge. He was 
also a Justice of the peace for the town of Sullivan, which comprised the 
entire north end of the county. He was one of three Assemblymen from 
Madison County from 1806 till 1809, and State Senator from 1809 to 

Smalley sold to George Anthony November 19, 1814. Anthony built the 
Dutch barn in 1818. It is still in use on lot No. 9. Conrad Moot, Jr., was 
four years old at the time and remembered that his father took him see it 
raised. He was placed on a lumber pile and told if he got down he would 
have to go home. He lived near by on lot 16.

Anthony sold to John Mattison, October 13, 1818. He and his wife 
Hadaph gave a-mortgage to the State of Connecticut, March 27, 1820, for 
$8,000. This mortgage was foreclosed the next year and to clear the title 
the State of Now York gave the State of Connecticut a deed to the 
premises, November 16, 1821.

The State of Connecticut gave a deed to Silas Sayles, January 7, 1822, 
and on the 31st of the same month took a mortgage for $6,258. In 1824 
another mortgage was given, when the principle had been reduced to 
about $4,000.

The Quality Hill road was not the dividing line between lots 4 and 9, as 
lot 4 had 143 acres and lot 9 had 100. Now the acres are reversed. This 
road, till about 1820, was very much traveled, as it was the main 
connecting link between the Cherry Valley turnpike at Nelson and the 
Seneca turnpike at Quality Hill. The mail was brought to Quality Hill and 
then carried by stage and horseback over this road to Clockville, 
Peterboro, Nelson and other places south.

Silas Sayles came here in 1819 from Peterboro, where he was postmaster 
in 1814. He was born in 1777, and died at the home of his son-in-law, 
Harrison Chapman, in Clockville, October 24, 1852. His wife, Phill, was 
born in 1782, and died on this farm, May 7, 1845. Their children were ; 
Abigail, wife of Isaac J. Forbes, born March 6, 1804, and died February 
14, 1852; Smith, born April 8, 1806, died August 28, 1899. He was a 
farmer and hotel keeper at Clockville and Canastota. Oney was born in 
September, 1807, died July 9, 1893. William G. was born at Peterboro in 
1812;Garritt S. was born at Peterboro, 1814; Mary A., wife of Harrison 
Chapman, born in 1815, died January 18, 1851; Dorman C., born in 
Lenox, 1816; Royal C., born at Clockville in 1821.

When Sayles came to Clockville he brought his father and mother with 
him. His father, William, was born in 1740, and died February 19, 1832, 
and his mother, Anna, born in 1740, died September l, 1836. They are 
buried along the west line of Charles Argensinger's farm.
Sayles was member of Assembly in 1837. His daughter, Abigail, married 
Isaac J. Forbes, son of Jacob, who owned lot 16. Forbes was sheriff of the 
county, and was very prominent in business and political circles about 

Forbes became involved in financial trouble and Sayles, having signed 
notes with him and both being unable to make the notes good, were sold 
out by the sheriff. Forbes had nearly 700 acres and Sayles 303 acres.
Forbes was obliged to leave the state and died in the late ‘40's in Illinois.
Sayles had deeded the farm to John G. Cropsey and Dana Wells January 
31, 1844. This must have been set aside by the courts, as the farm was 
sold by the sheriff December 20, 1845, to Daniel Crouse. Wells sold his 
interest to Cropsey, February 28, 1845, and C. Rouse must have also 
deeded to Cropsey, as he was the next conveyor.

John G. Cropsey was born in Vermont in 1790, and came here in 1845. 
His wife, Eliza, was born in New York State. Their children were Eliza 
A., born 1820; George W., 1822; Smith, 1829; Charles, 1839; Josephine, 
1843, and Ellen, 1846.

When Cropsey disposed of the farm , he made three sales. The 60 acres in 
lot No. 8 he deeded to his son, George W., and they jointly deeded this to 
Conrad Moot March 10, 1861, and this has since been part of the upper 
Moot farm.

That part of lot No. 4 west of the Quality Hill road he deeded March 26, 
1856, to Simon Harp for $6,600, and that part of lot 4 east of the road, 
together with lot No. 9, to John Stephens in 1852.

George W. Cropsey's wife was Mary Ann, born in 1829. The Cropseys 
later moved to Ann Arbor, Mich.

Harp sold lot 4 to Jacob Stissor, September 4, 1859, for $7,150. Stissor 
and his wife Ann deeded to Abraham Tuttle, January 1, 1873, for 

Abraham Tuttle was born on the Durfee road in 1820, and died on this 
farm, August 31, 1908. He was an extensive hop grower. He owned 
several other farms, in all 586 acres. His first wife was Armina Snyder, 
born in Lenox, 1816. They were married to 1841, and had three children, 
J. Otis, 1842; Janette, 1844, and Stillman A., 1846. His second wife was 
M. Jane, daughter of Adam Clock, born in 1832, and burned to death in 
her home at Clockville, June 17, 1917. They had one son, De Forest, 

Abraham Tuttle, in the early forties was a boatman on the Erie Canal. At 
that time many of the boats were owned by men who lived along the 
canal in the county. They ran the boats during the rush season after the 
grain had been threshed and were farmers at other times. They depended 
on getting loads where they were known near at home and taking them 

On the canal in the forties it was the strongest and bravest crew that 
survived. There were no rules about passing that were in force later. 
When two boats met a fight generally ensued. The victor went on, the 
other boat either pulled to the heel bank or their tow rope was cut and 
they were pushed out of the way.

The same thing occurred when approaching a tavern. If there was another 
crew inside they had to be thrown out or the last arrivals had to proceed 
with their thirst unquenched.

Tuttle went to California in the gold rush of ’49, going by way of Cape 
Horn, and returning overland. He was in California about 18 months, but 
did not find any gold.

When the 167th New York Volunteers were organized in 1863, he was 
commissioned captain of Co. G. After nine months' service in Virginia, 
he resigned and came home. Before going to California he joined 
Clockville Lodge, I. O. O. F., June 23, 18_4 and Canastota Lodge, No. 
231, F. & A. M., in 1877.
After his death in 1908, his son Stillman A., as executor, sold the farm to 
Charles Argensinger, who owns the farm at present.

The L. V. R. R. passes through this lot as well as No. 9, and at the railroad
crossing a milk station was erected about 1900. It was operated for many 
years by Samuel Levy. Later by the Dairymen's League, and now by 
Sheffield Farms. The passenger station from Clockville was moved in 
1910 from the county road crossing to a site opposite the milk station.
Lot No. 9 passed from John Stephens to William G. Filmore of Sullivan, 
April 3, 1854. Filmore was born in Onondaga County in 1818. His wife, 
Harriet, was born in Ohio in 1819. Their children were Jerome, 1845; 
George W., 1847; William C. 1849 and Nancy M., 1853.

Filmore sold to Conrad G. Moot March 30, 1858. Moot owned the south 
end of lots 2 and 3, and was the boy who sat on the lumber pile when the 
"Dutch" barn was raised in 1818. His son, Stephen G., commenced 
housekeeping on this farm and lived there till he moved to the large 
house on lot 3 to care for his parents.

At the death of Stephen G. Moot the farm passed to his daughter 
Kathleen, who sold to Elbert M. Kelsey, who owns and occupies the east 
side of lot 16.

February 19, 1931

Revolutionary Solders

Patented Lincoln Farms

Much of Lot 6 of "Purchase of 1802" in Lincoln

Settled by Soldiers--Many Became Prominent in County

This week the historical sketches of Lincoln farms, written by W. H. Tuttle, 
tells about Lot No. 6 of the "Purchase of 1802." Much of the land in this lot 
was "patented" by revolutionary soldiers and some of them and their families 
became prominent in county affairs.

The 70 acres on the south side of lot No. 4 were patented by Capt. Bartholmey 
Forbes. He settled on this lot in 1806. The north or larger side; was settled in 
1807 by George Ratnour. He also owned land to the turnpike lots, adjoining 
this on the north. 

The original buildings on both these farms were on the Calnan road, as the 
Stone road was not opened till 1817. At the present time only the cellar of the 
Forbes home remains. Bartholmey Forbes was born in Montgomery County in 
1786, and died March 11, 1860. His first wife was Leah, daughter of John 
Anguish, of Chittenango. She was a sister of Mrs. Sylvanus Seeber, who lived 
on lot No. 7. Leah Forbes was born in 1789, and died August 28, 1834. Her 
father, John Anguish, died in 1809, and is buried in the old cemetery across 
from the new Chittenango High School.

Forbes' second wife was Laura Keeney. born 1813, died April 2, 1880. 
His children by his first marriage were Laura, born 1813; Sally, 1826; Andrew 
J., 1828;. T. Jefferson, 1830; Austin J. 1832; and by his second marriage 
Margaret, 1837; Franklin, 1839, and died February 3, 1858; Josiah K., 1851, 
died January 13, 1863.

Forbes was a court witness in 1808. He was a veteran of the War of 1813, and 
a lieutenant in the Militia in 1817, and captain, 1820. He resigned his 
commission 1822.

Forbes also owned 20 acres in Turnpike lot No. 14. He sold 12 acres of lot 6, 
which was cut off when the Stone road was built, to Reuben Parkill on 
September 11, 1833.

The 20 acres in Turnpike lot No. 14 he deeded to his son, T. Jefferson, on 
December 8, 1866.

On the death of Forbes, William V: Bosworth, as referee, sold the farm to 
Abraham Tuttle, September 26, 1868. Tuttle sold to Uriah Polton of Augusta 
on March 2, 1874, for $5,087. Polton sold a one-half interest in the farm to 
John Polton, April 5, 1876. On March 26, 1877, Uriah and Mary and John 
and Emily Polton resold to Tuttle for $3,709.

Tuttle sold to his son, Stillman A., on March 26, 1878, at the same price he 
gave the Polton's.

Stillman A. Tuttle's heirs sold to the Canastota Canning Co. The lot is now 
owned by Harrison Hollenbeck.

George Ratnour patented the north end of lot 6. He was a veteran of the 
Revolution, having served in the New York Militia and was placed on the 
pension rolls, July 80, 1833, receiving a pension of $80 per year. He had a 
brother, Jacob, who settled south of the turnpike, near Cottons, but never took 
title to any real estate. Jacob served in the Revolution in the First Regiment of 
Tyron Co. Militia.

George Ratnour was born in 1760 and died May 30, 1844. His wife, Elizabeth, 
born 1765, died May 20, 1846. They came here from Montgomery County. He 
had a son, Henry, born 1796, died August 10, 1883, and a daughter, Hannah, 
born 1808. who married Christian Harp. She died at Clockville, February 22, 

Ratnour made an agreement with his son Henry on January 13, 1833, whereby 
he leased his farm to his son until April 1, 1843, for one-third of the crops.
After Ratuour's death his executors, William D. Henderson. Henry Ratnour 
and Christian Harp, deeded 77 acres east of the Stone road to Stephen 
Chapman, and the same day the 18-1/2 acres west of the road to the son 

Chapman deeded to his son, Harrison Chapman, October 16, 1860. Harrison 
sold his son Angelo, April 8, 1863, the north side of the lot, comprising 390 
acres, keeping about 38 acres in the center of lot No. 6, which he operated in 
connection with his farm at Clockville. At the death of j Harrison Chapman the 
lot was added to the Angelo Chapman farm.
Mrs. Angelo Chapman sold the farm to William Smith. Smith was a 
descendant of George Ratnour, the original settler. The farm is now owned by 
Lawrence C. Smith.

That part of lot No, 6 deeded in 1845 to Henry Ratnour, being 18 acres west of 
the Stone road, passed to James Roantree, November 20, 1863. He deeded to 
John M. White, November 23, 1867. White sold to Abi A. Phipps, March 13, 
1870. Abi A. Phipps and wife Diana deeded to Charles Keeney, April 1, 1876. 
for $2,700. Keeney was a son of Marvin Keeney and was born, in Clockville in 
1836. He shot himself while living here. James Preece purchased the farm from 
his heirs. About four acres that was originally a part of the Reuben Parkhill 
farm has been added. to this farm. It has been owned since 1912 by Joseph H. 

James Roantree came here , from Middlesex, Yorkshire, England, in 1851, 
landing, in New York after a voyage of eight weeks in. a salting vessel. He
 was born to 1813 and died in 1892. His wife, Ann Pickney, born 1816, died 
1894. They were the parents of nine children, six of whom were born in 
England. Robert, 1841; James, 1842; William, 1845; Charles; 1846; Jeremiah, 
1850; Mary E., 1852; A. A., 1837; Margaret, 1839, and Ann M., 1854.

James Roantree was a miller by trade. He operated the upper grist mill for 
many years until he began farming. His son Robert served in the Civil War and 
on returning home taught the Clockville school for several years. Later he 
traveled for Patten & Stafford, moving to Canastowhen the rake factory was 
moved there.

Another son, James, enlisted in August 1862, in Co. H, 157th Reg., N. Y. V. 
He was wounded at Gettysburg ;and was 1111 a Philadelphia hospital for 
several. months. On September 27, 1864; he joined the 43rd Reg., V. 8. C. T., 
as lieutenant. He was killed in an assault upon Petersburg, Va. October 27, 
1864, when but 22.

Another son, Charles C., was a miller and farmer. He died January 8, 1918. 
Jeremiah is living at Rockville Center, Long Island.

February 26, 1931

Soldiers of Bridgeport

Battle Settled Here

Captured by British and Indians in 1871. Later Settled

in Sullivan--Moved to Lincoln

Sometimes historical traditions are substantiated by the facts. This is the 
case of the story of how some of General Herkimer's soldiers 160 years 
ago captured a British encampment near Bridgeport; were themselves 
captured in turn, carried prisoners to Canada and later returned to 
settle around what is now known as Sullivan, later to be driven out by 
Herkimer County officials and to establish themselves in what is now the 
town of Lincoln, or what was known as the "Purchase of 1802." This week 
W. H. Tuttle of Clockville writes the story of lots Nos. 7 and 8 of this 

Lots 7 and 8 were settled by Jacob Seeber and his sons, William, Sylvanus and 
David. Jacob was a vet. Bran of the Revolution, having been adjutant of 
the lot Reg., Tyron County Militia. He was one of a party of fifty sent 
from Fort Stanwix in 1781, under. Capt. Walter Vrooman, to destroy a 
fleet of enemy boats that had come up Chittenango Creek, near Bridgeport, 
from Canada.

The enemy were raiding the Mohawk Valley and had left a small guard. The 
guard was captured and the boats partly destroyed when the British and 
Indians returned and surprised Capt. Vrooman and his company. Being many 
times outnumbered they surrendered. Several were killed by the Indians 
and the survivors carried to Canada, where they were kept as prisoners of 
war for two years.

Ten years later, in 1791, Jacob Seeber, with nine others who were of Capt. 
Vrooman's company, decided to settle in the Indian country where they had 
been captured. The others were Garritt and George Van Slyke, Jacob, David 
and John Jost Schuyler, John and George Pickert (Pickard), ;John Posley 
(Pauly) of the First Reg., Tyron County Militia, and John Freemyer of the 
5th Reg. of the Line.

They all came from near Minden, in the Mohawk Valley.

The forefathers of these settlers were from the Palanote in Germany, and were 
known as Mohawk Dutch. Few could speak English. When serving in the 
valley they were under the command of General Herkimer. Nearly all of 
these ten settlers were present under Herkimer at the battle of Oriskany.

On arriving at Chittenango Creek, north of the present village of 
Chittenango, they erected log cabins and began clearing land for crops. 
This, in 1791, was part of the Oneida Indian Reservation, and the Indians 
objected to their encroachment. The Indians appealed to Col. Galbraith, 
sheriff of Herkimer County, of which this territory was a part, to have 
them removed.

He came with a force of 60 deputies and tried to persuade them to vacate the 
Indian land. They refused and he burned their cabins and destroyed what 
crops they had growing and was about to escort them off the reservation 
when the Indians relented and told them they could settle near the 
present village of Sullivan, and they would not molest them. Here they 
remained until the Indians began selling the land in Sullivan to the 
State, when they look up lots in different parts of the town.

When the "Purchase of 1802" was made Jacob Seeber left Sullivan and settled 
on lots 7 and 8 in Lincoln. He did not live to complete his payments to 
the State, dying some time about 1808. The patent to lot 7 was taken by 
Sylvanus Seeber and that of lot 8 by William Seeber.

Sylvanus Seeber was born October 25, 1781, and died in the house now occupied 
by Hascal Perkins, February 20, 1858. His wife, Catherine, daughter of 
John Anguish of Chittenango, was born March 14, 1785, and died February 
1, 1859. She was a sister of Mrs. Bartholmey Forbes, who lived on lot No. 

Their children were Jacob, born November 31 (sic), 1803, died at Florence, N. 
Y., December 12, 1825. He was a physician and had joined Lenox Lodge No. 
281, F. & A. M., a few weeks prior to his death; John A., a lawyer; born 
March 4, 1805, died January 17, 1890; William, born August 24, 1806, died 
November 26, 1807; Henry, born November 18, 1807, died March 18, 1809; 
Silas, born August 26, 1809; Catherine (Doxtater), born May 7, 1811, 
lived for many years at Oneida on Lenox avenue, very near the building 
now occupied by the Oneida Democratic Union. Amos was born December 12, 
1812, died August 8, 1881; Daniel A., born August 5, 1814, died in April, 
1907, was a lawyer and resided in Wisconsin; David, born May 30, 1816, 
died January 11, 1817; Sylvanus, .jr., born March 1, 1818, died March 31, 
1889; Austin J., born August 11, 1819, died December 30, 1849; Fannie M„ 
born March 1, 1821, married Randolf S. Webster, January 8, 1845, died in 
the present M. E. parsonage August 19, 1856; unnamed daughter, born and 
died December 16, 1822; George K., born January 30, 1824, died July 30, 
1856, in the Perkins house, at the time of his death owned one-half 
interest in the upper gristmill; Caroline (Lovejoy), born February 1, 
1826, died at Rumsey, Cal., January16, 1908; Nancy Amelia, born June 17, 
1831, married H. H. Hathaway in 1853, died at Clockville December 6, 

Sylvanus, sr., was ensign in John C. Moot's company of the 74th Reg. from 
1809 till 1814. He was present at the organization of the first M. E. 
Society at the home of Jacob Forbes, May 8, 1813, and was elected one of 
nine trustees. He was also present at the first school meeting held in 
Clockville at the home of Stephen Chapman, on January 13, 1813, and was 
elected district collector. He served as school trustee in 1815, 1818, 
1820, 1822, 1824 and 1825. He was commissioner of common schools of town 
of Lenox, 1815-1820, and associate judge of Madison County, 1828-1832.

Mrs. Hammond in her history of Madison County 1872 quotes from Guerdon Evans 
History, written 1853; as follows: "Judge Seeber relates an incident 
connected with the early residence of his father in Sullivan. He relates 
that while a barefoot boy, passing through the woods with his father, he 
stepped upon some sharp substance which, upon examination, proved to be a 
bayonet attached to a musket covered with rubbish. Continuing their 
search a stack of muskets which had fallen to the ground was discovered. 
These relies roused the recollections of Vrooman's adventures which the 
old man related to his son seated upon a log, with the fragments of the 
expedition then lying at their feet.

“Alluding to the sinking of the boats, he remarked, they were sunk in the 
creek near this place. Let us look for them. Then rambling along the 
shore of the creek they found one boat near the bank nearly filled with 

(The farm house and barn on lot 51, town of Sullivan, are very close to where 
these boats were sunk.) 

Sylvanus Seeber bought in 1816 part of lot 12, and when he sold this in 1853, 
he kept about 14 acres, which were added to the Seeber farm.
In 1835 he sold John Betsinger one acre in the northwest corner of lot 7, and 
in 1840, five acres bordering this one acre.

John Betsinger owned land adjoining these parcels on the north in Turnpike 
lot No. 14. Betsinger is buried in this 6-acre lot now part of the Calnan 

On March 19, 1863, Seeber sold 46 acres in lots 12 and 18 acres in the 
northwest corner of lot 7, surrounding that sold to Betsinger, to Henry 

He had previously sold his farm in lot 7 to his sons, Sylvanus, jr., and 
George K., on December 18, 1848.

George K. sold his one-half interest to his brother, February 8, 1854. On the 
death of Sylvanus in 1889, his heirs sold to Charles N. Tuttle, the 
present owner.

William Seeber, on the death of his father, Jacob, took over lot 8 and 
received a patent on November 7, 1835. He was born in 1780 and died 
November 20, 1866. His wife, Anna Maria Marsh, was born in 1784, and died 
August 6, 1838. Their children were Jacob, 1808; Nicholas, 1812; Andrew, 
1813; Phillip, 1814; Dolly, 1816.

William Seeber purchased 12 acres of Gerrit Smith, March 1, 1834, which is 
that part of the Goff farm south of the road. He also received a patent 
to 60 acres in lot 3, east of the "1802 Purchase," near Lenox Furnace, 
from the State, February 24, 1817.

After his death in 1866, by the terms of his will, his daughter Dolly 
received 90 acres on the west side of lot 8, and the 12 acres in lot 13. 
His son Phillip received 73 acres on the east side of lot 8 and 50 acres 
of lot 3, together with a parcel bought of the Lenox Iron Co., March 26, 

Dolly Seeber never married. At her death the farm left her passed to Willis 
and Adelbert Gott. They sold to Clarence Goff, who occupies the farm. 

Phillip’s farm passed to his son, Frank J. Seeber, who is the fourth 
generation to own it, having been in the same family for 128 years.

March 5, 1931

Deer Once Pillaged

Lincoln Farmers' Grain

Clark Farm in Family 140 Years--Large Rock Marks

Old Horse Race Course

Lot No. 10 of the "Purchase of 1802" had an especially vivid history. 
Here is the Clock farm, descended from father to son for 140 years and 
still in the Clock family. Here the early settlers had to guard their crops 
24 hours a day so that deer would not eat them. Here, as a girl, came the 
wife of John Clock, who settled here in 1792. Mrs. Clock's hand was 
crippled as a child when an Indian in the Mohawk Valley chased her 
through the woods and struck her with his tomahawk. The story of Lot 
No. 10, written this week by W. H. Tuttle will be of unusual interest.

Lot No. 10 was settled by John Clock, son of Conrad, in 1792. He did 
not receive his patent until November 13, 1815. He was born at "Kloch’s 
Field" in the Mohawk Valley in 1763 and died April 11, 1816. His wife 
Upalona died January 6, 1836. They are buried on the knoll west of the 
present farm.

Mrs. Clock had a crippled hand. When a girl she lived in the Mohawk 
Valley and her home was surrounded by a low palaside or fence. 
Wandering away from the house one day during the revolution she was 
chased by a skulking Indian who was so close that when she jumped over 
the palaside he struck her hand with a tomahawk before she could 
withdraw it.

John Clock made a will in June 1813, stating that his heirs could not sell 
to an outsider, but if they wished their share in his property they must sell 
to their mother or one of his sons. There is one peculiarity about his 
patent. It covers lot 10 and includes 9 acres in lot 17 without mentioning 
the last lot.

Joseph Ammin, who surveyed this purchase, boarded at Clocks and it is 
presumed these  nine acres were cleared before the "Purchase of 1802" 
was made, probably because of the creek at the bottom of the hill. Where 
the line of lot 10 comes to the N. E. corner of Frank Pankhurst's door 
yard it turns south and then east to include this nine acres in lot 10. When 
the will was made Nicholas I. Forbes was building a house where Frank 
Pankhurst now lives, and Stephen Chapman had already built the saw 
mill (Reynolds), it was the duty of the Clock children to keep the deer 
which were then very numerous, from destroying the grain. Some times 
they had to take turns, keeping a 24 hour virgil (sic).

Clock had seven sons and five daughters. Peter, born 1795, died August 
22, 1862; Adam born 1802, died December 6, 1877; Henry born 1806; 
Conrad born 1809. died March 3, 1864; George born 1812; Christian 
and John Jr. The daughters were: Peggy who married John Remin 
Snyder, Polly born August 29, 1784, died May 19, 1857, married Elder 
Silas Spaulding; Lana married John P. Yorton; Betsy born 1807 married 
Jacob Ratnour; Mariah married John J. Young. 

John Jr. was the first to dispose of his interest, selling to his mother 
January 10, 1817 for $200. John P. Yorton and his wife, Lana, sold to 
Christian August 24, 1819 for $200. 

Peter also sold to Christian June 5, 1820 for $200. Christian and wife, 
Nancy sold to Adam February 24, 1825 for $600. John J. Young and 
wife, Mariah, deeded to Adam and Henry September 13, 1829 for $300.

John I. sold in 1827 for $40, Rudolf in 1829 for $50, and Peter R. in 
1831 for $250. Sons of Perry Reminsnyder, deceased, sold their interests 
to Adam, and Henry. Conrad and Elisabeth sold to Adam and Henry 
October 7; 1829 for $550. Henry and Elizabeth sold to Adam and George 
December 10, 1833 for $1,800.

Adam and George gave $1,300 December 10, 1833 for the share of their 
sister, Polly, wife of Silas Spaulding. 

Adam bought out his brother, George, about 1840 and became solo 

Adam married Malinda, daughter of Bartholmay Forbes, born 1810, died 
April 23, 1857. They had four children: Elizabeth (Hale) 1831; Jane 
(Tuttle) 1832; Catherine (Moot) 1837; Charles Duane, 1855. His second 
wife Harriet, was born in Herkimer county in 1819 and died January 26, 

When the Baptist church was erected in Clockville in 1828 he bought a 
pew for $24 and received a deed for the same forever. He soon changed 
and was a Methodist Protestant and; when the Methodist Episcopal 
church was reorganized in 1848 he was a trustee and one of two that 
advanced the money for the payment of the same.

On the death of Adam Clock in 1877 the farm passed to his son, Duane. 
He married Grace, daughter of George B. Cady in 1878. She died June 
18, 1911, leaving three children, Fred A., Kathleen and Martha. Duane 
Clock died in October, 1925, and his son Fred A. purchased the interest 
of the other heirs.

In the 140 years that this farm has been occupied it has not been out of 
the Clock family. Fred Clock is tilling the soil cleared by his great-
grandfather in 1792.

The present house was built by Adam Clock, this being the 3d house. The 
first was a log house east of the present house. The second occupied  the 
site of the present house and was moved off and used for a horse barn 
when the present house was built.

There was a large Dutch barn on this farm that burned about 1912. It was 
a counterpart to the barn on lot 9 and was probably built by John Clock 
before his death.

A large rock rests beside the road near where the old barn stood in the 
30's and 40's, horse races used to be run between this rock and Kelsey's 

Three of John Clock's children were living at or near Wampsville in 
1860. First Henry, born 1806, wife Elizabeth 1808, children Stephen C. 
1831, a veteran of the Oneida Independent Cavalry, died March 31, 
1891, Harriet 1833, Oscar 1836, Angenette 1839, Henry 1841, Armanda 
1844, Emogene 1846, Romaine 1849. Second--George born 1812, wife 
Nancy 1816, children, Louise 1836, Darwin 1846. Third--Conrad born 
1809, wife Elizabeth, born 1802, children, Lorenzo 1830, Cynthia 1832, 
George 1835, Newton 1838, Abraham 1842. Fourth--Peter born 1795, 
wife Anna 1796, children, Marie, 1824, died 1848, Henry 1826, 
Catherine 1832, Michael 1834, Margaret 1836, Harvey 1838 were living 
north of Canastota in the late 40’s. Christian moved to Sullivan. It is not 
known what became of John, Jr.


March 12, 1931

Conrad Clock Pioneer

Settler of Old Lenox

Came from Mohawk Valley in 1792--Violent Deaths

by Fire and Drowning Marked Lives

of Early Residents.

There were many tragedies to the lives of the early settlers of the 
"Purchase of 1802." One man lost his grandmother, mother, wife and 
daughter within a year, his grandmother burning to death. A promising 
boy was drowned in a mill pond. Life was hard and too often dangerous. 
Yet out of it came the men and women who settled and developed this 

Of Lot No. 11 of this purchase Mr. Tuttle writes:

Conrad Clock was the pioneer settler in what was the old town of Lenox. 
He came from the Mohawk Valley, near Clock's Field, with his sons, 
John, Joseph and Conrad, Jr., and located on what became later Lot No. 
11, in 1792. His son John was west of him on Lot No. 10, and Joseph on 
Lot No. 13. The old Clock homestead stood on the site of R. D. Webster's 

Conrad Clock, sr. patented all of lot No. 11 except some few acres in the 
southeast corner, which were bought of the State by Col. Stephen 
Chapman in 1813. Chapman purchased 5-1/2 acres of Clock, May 12, 
1815, and proceeded to lay this out in building lots, which were sold 
between 1815 and 1817.

Conrad; sr., sold the balance of his farm on the same day, May 12, 1815, 
to his son, Conrad, Jr., for "Love and Good  Will."

Conrad, jr., and his wife, Coriah, on August 14, 1815, sold to John D. 
Nellis 23-1/2 acres along the east side of the Seeber road. This is the 
present Asche farm. On August 8. 1817, they sold Reuben Parkhill 5 
acres in the northwest corner of Lot No. 11 for $100. This is the lot in the 
Hollenbeck farm that extends south beyond the rest of the farm.

The Canastota road had been opened this same year and passed along the 
east side of this 5 acres. When the roadbed was changed in 1851, it 
passed through this lot and cut off nearly two acres, which were sold by 
Parkhill to W. S. Cady and are now a part of the Heslin farm.

On July 3, 1831, Clock sold Col. Chapman one acre east of the mill dyke, 
comprising the old Clock homestead and including the corner to the 
Lockerby store.

Conrad and his wife, Coriah, sold the farm May 29, 1823, to Sylvester 
Beecher, 105 acres, for $2,125. The farm homestead was now the old 
Adam Buyea house.

Beecher sold the 20 acres west of the stone road and north of the county 
road to Richard G. Imerson, May 7, 1825, for $622.

In a will made June 2, 1842, Beecher gave the farm to his grandson, 
George B. Cady, when he became of age.

Nathan S. Cady was one of the executors of the will. He occupied the 
farm after it was purchased by Beecher until his son George became of 
age in 1852.

It was while Cady was occupying the farm that the accidental death of his 
wife occurred.

George B. Cady built the brick house soon after becoming of age and the 
horse barn in 1855.

George B. Cady married Nancy, daughter of Frederick H. Way, who was 
living on the Dowling farm, Lot 26. Cady began keeping house in what is 
now the Odd Fellows' building. His son, Charles N. Cady, was born 

Cady bought the Brookes woolen mills and made woolen cloth for several 
years, later buying the Lenox Iron Co.'s property at Lenox Furnace and 
carrying on the same line of manufacture.

In the '80's he became involved in financial difficulties and his farm on 
Lot No. 11 was sold by S. H. Stafford as referee on February 15, 1888, to 
B. F. Chapman for $7,990. The sale was held at the Allen House in 
Oneida, The farm comprised 85 acres.

Chapman sold to De Forest Tuttle, February 27, 1891, for $8,000.

De Forest Tuttle was the son of Abraham and M. Jane Tuttle. He married 
Flora, daughter of Jacob Bellinger. They had three children, Harry M., 
Carl and Ruth. Carl and Ruth died in infancy. De Forest Tuttle; died in 
1898. His widow conducted the farm till 1911, when Harry Tuttle took it 
over. His grandmother burned to death in a house he erected for her south 
of the brick house. His mother, who had married George Lawrence, died 
very suddenly, and his, wife, Laura Rankin, and his daughter Ruth all 
passed away in less than a year. He sold the farm in 1920 to Edward 
Heslin and moved to Fayetteville.

The 28 acres along the east side of this lot, being in the shape of a triangle 
and extending to the Furnace road, was held by John I. D. Nellis until 
1836. Nellis also owned the D. L. Betsinger farm. He built the Express 
Mills in 1820.

Nellie sold both farms and mill to Zachariah Link on May 10, 1836, 
reserving a small parcel of land east of the cemetery.

This parcel he deeded September 28, 1836, to Alanson Wilcox, Lucius 
Brooks, John T. Parkhill, Ichabod K. Averill and Jaspar Blair as trustees 
of the Clockville cemetery, as an addition to the cemetery, reserving 
forever a small plot surrounded by an iron fence, which is still standing, 
where two of his children are buried. One of these, a son aged eight, had 
been drowned in the Nellis mill pond in 1828. This pond extended from 
the road leading to the old rake factory to the rear of the Charles Kilts 
house, and covered the entire flat now owned by William V. Bosworth.

The road leading to the rake factory was a private road, built on the bank 
of the dam.

Nellis was a son of John D. Nellis of Whitestown, N. Y., and very 
prominent here till he went west in 1836. He built the farm house on the 
D. L. Betsinger farm.

Link sold the 23 acres in Lot No. 11 to John T. Parkhill, April 24, 1843, 
and Parkhill sold to W. C. Cady March 14, 1855, for $1,538.

George B. Cady as executor of the estate of W. S. Cady, deceased, sold 
March 23, 1864, to Thomas Lawrence for $1,900.

Mary Ann Nourse, Phillip and Libbie E. Hallam, Mary Jane Watson, 
Margaret Mitchell, Fred R. and Martha Earl, George and Martha 
Lawrence, Thomas Spencer and Margaret Lawrence, Nicholas N. and 
Eliza Lawrence and Amos Lawrence as heirs of Thomas Lawrence, 
deceased, deeded on March 22, 1882, to Norman L. Stafford.

Stafford, in company with William H. Patten, was manufacturing wheel 
rakes and plaster sowers in the old Brooks mill. He built the present 
house and barn. When the firm moved to Canastota he sold to John 
Wesley Foster, who sold about 1895 to Barney Asche of Oneida.

When the rake factory first started an old lady came to town from the 
hills of Fenner and wanted to know what that "Patent stafford" was that 
they had at Clockville.

John I. D. Nellis' wife's name was Nancy. He was a veteran of the war of 
1812, serving in Capt. Beecher's company, he was present at nearly every 
school meeting from the first in 1813 till 1830, and was elected trustee at 
the first meeting.

Zachariah K. Link was born 1790 and his wife Sarah in 1800. Their 
children were William, 1826; Norman, 1831; Stanton, 1834; Permilia, 
1839, and Sarah, who married Simon New.

Link went in Wampsville in 1843, where he purchased property of 
William Cobb.

John T. Parkhill was the son of a brother of Reuben Parkhill. He was 
born in 1804 and came here in 1830. His wife was born 1808. Their 
children were Eliza, 1831; Delia S., 1833; Margaret, 1835; Helen P., 
1838; John R., 1839; Ezra R., 1841; Emogene, 1844; Alice, 1849.

Parkhill was a very prominent Methodist. When the Methodist Episcopal 
Church was repaired in 1848, he furnished all the clapboards. He was its 
trustee for many years and acted as  janitor.

He owned the six acres in the point between the county and Blygh roads 
and said off the George King house  and lot from that parcel.

Later in life he owned the Old William Hallock farm on the road in 
Canastota, which farm was in the turnpike lots and adjoined the 1802 
purchase on the north.


March 19, 1931

Englishmen Settled on

Lincoln Lot No. 12

Old Plaster and Express Mills Centers of Early

Activity. Large Families Were Usual Thing.

W. H. Tuttle finds that many early settlers on Lot No. 12 of the "Purchase 
of 1802" were Englishmen. They became American citizens as time went 

Lot 12 was patented about 1804 by Myndert H. Wemple. Previous to 
1806 he sold the west side, comprising 80 acres, to John Stinford, and 30 
acres in the southeast corner to Charles Kern. On December 22, 1806, he 
sold 50 acres in the northeast corner to William Lawrence, late of 

It was in the southeast comer of these 60 acres that the plaster mill was 

William Lawrence's wife was Ann. They had eight children, Moses; 
Stephen, Benjamin, Thomas, Mary, Frances, Patty and a daughter who 
married William Smith.

On May 28,1817, William Lawrence purchased 20 acres in the southwest 
corner of lot No. 13 of George and Barbary Pickel.

William Lawrence and wife Ann, sold to their sons, Moses and Stephen, a 
three-fourths interest in the plaster mill on August 9, 1820, and to their 
son Thomas one acre below the mill on March 18, 1828: William 
Lawrence died about 1830.

On July 21, 1831, Hiram and Frances Sherman deeded their interest in 
the estate to Thomas Lawrence. February 2, 1832, Ira and Patty, 
Bartholmay of New Albion, N. Y., deeded their interest to Stephen 
Lawrence, being one-third of 84 acres set off by William Lawrence to 
three of his daughters. Daniel Furgeson deeded about the same time the 
interest of Mary to Thomas Lawrence, Moses Lawrence Smith and wife 
Susan, and James K. and. Charity Smith deeded to Stephen Lawrence, 
October. 9, 1834, the interest of their mother. Stephen and wife Nancy 
deeded the property left the daughters to Thomas Lawrence, August 20, 
1834. Moses and wife George also deeded their interest to Thomas in 

Thomas Lawrence sold James HalIan on May 20, 1845, one-third acre, 
and on May 26, 1846, one acre. This was sold by James to William 
Hallam March 26, 1851, and by William to Samuel Law, January 29, 
1862. This is the house and lot long occupied by Spencer Lawrence and 
now by William Betsinger.

Moses Lawrence bought ten acres of lot No. 13 on March 18, 1816. This 
was sold by Moses to Thomas, August 9, 1820. Thomas Lawrence 
bought and sold several parcels off the west aide of the farm while he 
owned it. He deeded 75 acres to his son Amos, April 13, 1864. Amos and 
wife, Angeline L:, deeded the 20 acres in lot 13 to William Tuttle, March 
13, 1867, for $1,750.

Amos sold Elizabeth Vincent five acres in lot 13, and 7-1/2 acres in same 
lot to Albert B. Vincent, March 30, 1866. He sold the remainder of the 
farm, 42 1/2 acres, to Elijah Morse on March 13, 1867, for $4,165 Mores 
sold to James Minor, April 1, 1871 for $3,500. From Minor the farm 
passed to Judge G. A. Forbes. It was occupied for many years by Jacob 
Mason while owned by Forbes.

C. Eugene Miller purchased the farm about 1900. He sold one-half to 
Mrs. Inez Hoyt and the remainder to S. Herbert Near, who sold to Jay 
Wilcox, except the stone house, which Near sold with about two acres to 
Andrew Wilcox.

The 80 acres on the west side was sold by John Stinford to John W. Sliter 
of Lakeland, N. Y., who sold to Sylvanus Seeber, February 12, 1816, for 
$1,000. Seeber sold 36 acres in the southwest corner on May 2, 1817, to 
John I. D. Nellis, reserving one-half acre on the Furnace road sold by 
Seeber to Phillip Moon. This is the house and lot occupied by Clarence 
Devann. Nellis built the Express Mill in 1820, and later bought the one-
half acre of Phillip Moon. He also purchased, June 13, 1817, the 30 acres 
sold to Charles Kern.

Nellis sold to Zacharla K. Link, May 10, 1836, his 66 acres in lot 12, 
with the Asche farm of 22 acres, in lot No. 11, for $7,000. 

Link sold to Peter Betsinger, April 24, 1843, 55 1/2 acres, excluding the 
mill and nine acres. Betsinger sold three acres to Marvln Keeney, which is 
now owned by Walter Grumback.

Betsinger's heirs sold to his son, Daniel L. Betsinger, February 1, 1877. 
Daniel L. Betsinger died January 24, 1911, and at the death of his widow 
the property passed to his daughter, who sold to Kenneth Smith in 1929.

The northwest corner of lot 12 was kept by Seeber. He made several 
small sales and purchased near the Express Mills, and sold the balance, 
about 45 acres, to Henry Farrington, March 19, 1853. Anna Farrington, 
widow of Henry, sold one acre to John McCartney, November 30, 1857.

This was on the Jay Wilcox farm at the foot of the hill on the Seeber 
road. McCarty built a house on the property and occupied it until he 
resold to Mrs. Farrington, April 2, 1866. The house has disappeared and 
its exact location cannot be ascertained.

Aiva and Lucinda Helmer, Frank Helmer, Anna, Henry F. and Irene 
Helmer, Royal and Lola Helmer deeded the property to D. F. Chapman, 
January 12, 1891. Chapman deeded to William H. Getman, February 8, 
1892. Since the death of Getman the farm has been owned by S. H. Near, 
Hiram H, Betsinger and Jay Wilcox. It is now owned by Mrs. Edith 

Thomas Lawrence was born in England in 1793, the youngest son of 
William Lawrence. His wife, Margaret, was born in 1799, daughter of 
Jacob Forbes. Their children were Martha, 1827; George, 1829; Thomas 
Spencer, 1832; Newton, 1836, and Amos, 1838.

Thomas and Moses both joined Lenox Lodge No. 281, F. & A. M., in 
1825. They were both prominent in, the Methodist Church, Moses being 
a local preacher. Moses, Stephen and Benjamin left this locality about 

 James Hallan was born in England in 1802, and died December 29, 
1879. Phillip, a brother, was born in 1799, and died at Clockville, 
January 6, 1870. His son William, born in 1823, was a clerk. He died 
May 24, 1854, leaving a wife, Catherine Jane, daughter of Thomas 
Lawrence. She was born in 1824, and died January 4, 1858, leaving three 
small children, Phillip, born 1850; Mar J., 1852, and Margaret, 1853.

Peter Betsinger was the son of John and Hannah, who are buried on the 
Calnan farm, Peter once owned 50 acres in the turnpike lots now owned 
by Herman New. He was born in this town, January 13, 1801, and died at 
Oneida, November 6, 1876. His wife, Catherine Forbes, was born in 
1803, and died March 9, 1857. Their children were Colina, born May 12, 
1825; Catherine (Randall), May 21, 1826; Harriet, February 4, 1828; 
Diana (Palmer), June 6, 1829; Henry, February 24, 1831; Clarissa 
(Palmer), April 18, 1833; Melissa, May 4, 1835; Sarah, March. 29, 1837; 
Peter R., March 13, 1839;. Daniel L., August 7, 1841, died January 24, 
1911; Nicholas, July 27, 1843; Charles L., March 13, 1848, died January 
16, 1887. 

Peter Betsinger also owned the John Kilts house and lot which he sold to 
Seth Pettit in 1832, and the Roderick Wormouth farm that he sold to 
Harrison Rouse in 1866.

Henry Farrington was born in 1799 and died April 20, 1867. He joined 
Clockville Lodge, I. O. O. F., No. 155, October 19, 1850. His wife, Anna, 
born 1807, died in the eighties.

On June 20, 1821, at a term of County Court, Moses, Thomas and 
Stephen Lawrence, aliens of England, having resided ten years in New 
York State, took the oath of allegiance.

John McCarty was born in Ireland in 1836. His wife, Mary, was also born 
in 1836. They had three sons John F., born 1855; George, 1858, and 
Hiram H., 1859.  

Weeks 1-4 provided from copies at the Madison County Historical Society by Douglas J. Ingalls; and
transcribed by Jo Dee Frasco. Appeared previously on "A Bit of the Past," Mike Hollingsworth's site.

Weeks 5-26 provided by Donna Dorrance Burdick, Town of Smithfield Historian, from copies of the Oneida Democratic Union at the Madison County Historical Society.


©1999- MadisonCountyNewYork.com All rights reserved.