Pioneering Families
... with Roots in Madison County

Index to


  TURLINGTON WALKER HARVEY was born at Siloam, New York, March 10, 1886, son of Johnson and Paulina (Walker) Harvey. His father was a farmer in early life, but later worked at the carpenter's trade at Durhamville, New York. About 1851 he established a sash, door and blind factory at Oneida, New York, and in 1866 removed to Sandwich, Ill., where be died in 1880. His widow died in 1890. Young Harvey's educational advantages were, limited, for from his eleventh to his fourteenth year he was employed in a store at Durhamville. After that he learned the carpenter's trade, working with his father, and as he had opportunity attended the public schools. After his father removed to Oneida, he attended the Oneida Academy a short time, but spent most of his time in the factory, and at the age of nineteen had mastered the sash, door and blind business. Removing to Chicago in 1854, he first secured a position as foreman of a small sash, door and blind factory. He next filled a similar position in the same line of business with Messrs. Abbott & Kingman, with whom he stayed five years, and during that time familiarized himself with the lumber interests and trade throughout the Northwest. 
  In 1859 be joined Mr. Peter B. Lamb, and established a planing mill and lumberyard, which two years later they were obliged to enlarge to meet the demands of their constantly growing trade. In 1865 Mr. Harvey bought Mr. Lamb's interest in the business, which continued to grow beyond the capacity of the facilities at his command. In 1869 be moved his business to Twenty-second and Morgan streets, then the southern limits of the city, where he bought land and put up the first fireproof building erected in Chieago for a planing mill. He also bought and built extensive docks. This was the beginning of what afterward came to be the largest lumber business in the United States, Mr. Harvey owning and operating lumber mills at Menominee and Muskegon, Mich. 
  At one time the Harvey yards in Chicago handled a hundred and twenty-five million feet of lumber annually. In 1878 Mr. Harvey furnished the money to build the first logging railroad in the United States. It connected Lake George with the Muskegon river, and was for transferring his logs from the lumber camps to the Muskegon river, where they could float to the mills at the mouth of the river. In 1883, associating with himself a number of his worthy employes, he organized the T. W. Harvey Lumber Company, and has been at its head as president ever since. But Mr. Harvey has not confined his attention to the lumber interests. In 1890 he laid out the town of Harvey, a suburb of Chicago, where are located the works of the Harvey Steel Car Company, and many other manufactories. The town is now owned by the Harvey Land Association and the Harvey Steel Car Company, of which he owns the most of the stock, and is the president of both companies. He is also a director of the Metropolitan National Bank, and the American Trust and Savings Bank of Chicago. In 1882 be bought two thousand acres of land in Eastern Nebraska, which is known as "Turlington," and is one of the finest stock farms in the Northwest.
  Mr. Harvey has always shown commendable public spirit and has been a leader in benevolent and charitable work. His services during and after the great fire of 1871 can never be over-estimated. He was then on the executive committee of the Chicago Relief and Aid Society, and was selected to serve on the shelter committee. The chairman of that committee was unable to act, and his duties fell upon Mr. Harvey. These so completely occupied his time that he gave to his own business but one hour a day during the six months following the fire. The winter of 1871-2 was a severe one, and but for the timely help of this society many must have perished from hunger and exposure. One hundred thousand people were homeless. For a portion, temporary barracks were provided, but the majority were comfortably housed. Many owned their lots or had leases of them; for such, houses ready for occupancy were furnished costing a hundred and twenty-five dollars each, and in one month, from October 18th to November 17th, fifty-two hundred and twenty-six houses were erected, which number was afterwards increased to more than eight thousand. Foreseeing that the price of lumber must advance on account of the millions of feet destroyed in Chicago, and by the extensive forest fires in Michigan and Wisconsin which raged in the fall of 1871, Mr. Harvey bought all be could get at fourteen dollars per thousand feet. The price went up to twenty dollars per thousand, so that on the thirty-five million feet of lumber used by the shelter committee there was a saving of more than two hundred thousand dollars to the relief fund. Daring the same winter a coal famine prevailed in many parts of Chicago, and under the personal supervision of Mr. Harvey, teams and wagons were purchased, and although many streets in destitute parts of the city were filled with eighteen inches of snow, seven hundred tons of coal were delivered to the freezing people in the outskirts in one day. These are illustrations of the more public of Mr. Harvey's acts of benevolence. Others might be given, for it is such work as that of the Chicago Relief and Aid Society that he delights in, whose charities have brightened many a cheerless home, and brought gladness to many a soul ready to despair. In organization for the relief of the destitute during the full and winter of 1893-4, Mr. Harvey has also taken a very prominent part.
   For many years he has been an aggressive spirit in religious work, and wherever known is esteemed for his Christian character. He was president of the Young Men's Christian Association, of Chicago, from 1871 to 1873, and again from 1876 to 1579. He is also vice-president of the Chicago Evangelistic Society, whose object is the promotion of evangelistic work and Bible study. The head of this society is Mr. Dwight L, Moody, in whose absence Mr. Harvey is called to act as executive. In 1876 he was chairman of the executive committee, which had in charge the erection of the famous "Moody Tabernacle" on Monroe street He is an earnest Sunday school worker, and for more than a quarter of a century has been superintendent of a Sunday-school in Chicago.
  Mr. Harvey is a man of simple habits, domestic tastes, and fond of home, and is never happier than in the midst of the joys of his own fireside. He has a refined, attractive Christian home, whose influence is felt by all who come within range, and whose inmates delight in dispensing generous hospitality.
   In 1859 Mr. Harvey married Miss Marie Hardman, of Louisville, Ky., whose decease occurred in 1870. Their four sons, Charles A., John R., George L. and Robert H. still survive. Mr. Harvey married Miss Belle S. Badger, of Chicago, May 28th, 1873, and by her has three sons and three daughters. Mrs. Harvey is an accomplished woman of literary tastes and culture, and devoted to her family. and in hearty sympathy with her husband in his good works.
  When measured by what he is, and by what he has done, Mr. Harvey may be pronounced, in the truest and best sense of the words, a successful man. 

Source: Anonymous. A Biographical history, with portraits, of prominent men of the great West. Chicago, Ill.: Manhattan Pub. Co., 1894, pp. 312-313. 


T. W. Harvey was born at Siloam, Madison Co., N. Y., on March 10, 1835, the son of Johnson and Paulina (Walker) Harvey. His father was a native of New York State, and his mother of Massachusetts. In 1866, his parents moved to Sandwich, Ill., where his father died in 1880; his mother is still living. Young Harvey, from the ages of eleven until fourteen, was employed during the summer months as a clerk in the grocery store of Nelson Green, at Durhamville, N.Y., also attending school in the winter months. He then worked in a carpenter shop of his father at Durhamville, until he was sixteen years of age, when, his father having built a planing-mill, sash, door, and blind manufactory, he worked at that business until 1853. In that year the mill was destroyed by fire, and his father and he built a planing-mill, at Oneida, N.Y., which they carried on for one year under the firm name of J. Harvey & Son. In 1854, T. W. Harvey came to Chicago and entered the employment of James McFall, a manufacturer of sash, doors and blinds, at the corner of Franklin and Tyler streets, with whom he remained but two weeks, when he was made foreman of the factory of Gray, Morrison & Co., at the corner of Sixteenth and Clark streets, this firm also being engaged in the manufacture of sash, doors and blinds. The senior member of the firm dying of cholera, in 1854, the firm was dissolved, and Mr. Harvey became an employee of Abbott & Kingman, as specified in the foregoing sketch of firm; which sketch also gives Mr. Harvey's subsequent business career. In 1859, he was married to Miss Maria L. Hardman, daughter of Jacob W. Hardman, of Louisville, Ky. She died in 1870, leaving five children,--Charles A., John R., George L., Robert H., and Thomas E. (deceased). In 1873, he was married to Miss Belle S. Badger, daughter of A. C. Badger, of Louisville, Ky.; they have five children,--Belle B., Turlington W., Jr., Elbert A., Paul S. and Elvira. Mr. Harvey has been prominently and influentially identified with many commercial, charitable and theological interests. He had charge of the Shelter Committee of the Relief and Aid Society at the time of the fire; he has been president of the Young Men's Christian Association for six terms; he was president of the Chicago Relief and Aid Society, for the years 1884-85, of which institution he has also been director since 1866; he has been superintendent of the Sunday School of the Missions of the Wabash-Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church since 1862, and is president of the Board of Trusties of that Church; he is president of the Chicago Bible Society, of the Chicago Evangelistic Committee, and of the Chicago Prayer Alliance and Bible Reading Society. He is a director of the Metropolitan National Bank, of the Interstate Industrial Exposition, and of the White Pine Lumber Company; is also president of the Harvey Lumber Company, and vice-president of the National Lumber Company. He has taken great interest in improving the strain of cattle in this country, having been an extensive importer of fine cattle from England and Scotland; his herds of Short-horns and of Polled Angus, having been prize-winners at every fair where they have been exhibited. In connection with the stock interests, he is treasurer of the Short-Horn Breeders' Association, and is also proprietor of the celebrated Turlington Stock-farm, at Turlington, Neb. 

Source: Andreas, A. T. History of Chicago, Volume 3, The Lumber Trade. Chicago, Ill: A.T. Andreas, 1884-1886, p. 374. Reprinted: New York: Arno Press, 1975.


1999- All rights reserved